Replica Island Story Questions (Spoiler Alert)

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
---Warning, if you care about the replica island story, don't read this post, first play the game, and than come back and read it: Replica Island ---

First of all, I really did like the gameplay of this game (I'm on an X), however, the story line left something to be desired. While many stories can start off in the middle of the show, and having 'flashbacks' to previous scenes, this story didn't seem to do it very well. The villains were far to predictable, and the characters were far too static (which would be normally okay for an arcade game like this, but a lot of emphasis was put on the story for this game). (all of this is just my opinion anyway). However, none of this bothered me too much, I rolled my eyes in a few places, and had a few chuckles, and life went on.

But the end of the game bothered me. Like the movie War Games, is the only way to actually 'win' this game, to not play? On the second to last level, Wanda came up to you and told you to think about your actions...and to not help either of them. And like several other points in the game, the dialog is presented in such a way that the player would have a choice (to follow the character's council, or to not to), however when the action again resumes, you have but two options, to exit the game/die repeatedly/wait until your battery dies/etc. or to collect the last red crystal. Seeing as the first option isn't actually part of the game, you have to collect the red crystal and go onto the last level. Where you're presented with a choice, to go kill the Doctor, or the businessman. (Or to go up, and stay in the source/play with a robot machine). So I eventually went into the door and killed the businessman, at which point I was presented with a game over screen with the doctor ruling the world. And the game reset itself...so I started over, went through all of the levels again, and went down the other door, and once again, the businessman ruled the world.

So, does this game have an actual 'good' ending? Or is it just bad ones? I downloaded the source for the game, and saw some resources in the res/drawable folder for a good ending, but it doesn't appear to have one...so am I just missing something?

Thank you.

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
So, does this game have an actual 'good' ending? Or is it just bad ones? I downloaded the source for the game, and saw some resources in the res/drawable folder for a good ending, but it doesn't appear to have one...so am I just missing something?

Thank you.

Yes, there's a good ending.

Fly up top, take control of one of those robotic monkeys in midair, and it'll explode and destroy the source.

And its posts like this that made me wish every message board had a spoiler tag.

Leif

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Ah, okay, thanks...that should be much more clear. ;) Now I get to play through the whole game again...just to see a picture I could probably just recreate with source (code), or even better still, realize it's just a picture and not waste another hour of my life... :)

Anyway, I'm sorry if this did spoil anything for you...I tried to make it clear that it might...

MowDownJoe

Regular lawnmower man...
Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
You didn't spoil anything (I beat the game recently, myself)... I just think it's a generally handy thing for any forum to have a spoiler tag.