10-18-2018 11:41 AM
108 ... 345
tools
    Not getting any notifications at all until the phone is woken up is a bug though, either in the current version of pie itself, or some kind of interaction between certain phones and there configurations with pie.
    This is not unique to Pie. It is doing it in Nougat and Oreo. It was not doing it until an update of a system file was pushed through to my phone in late August. Prior to that, my phone was perfect. Samsung S8, Android 7.0, security patch Aug 1, 2017.

Lots of threads about delayed notifications on other manufacturer devices as well.

Once I applied device idle my phone is back to the way it was before the August push of Google or Samsung's flawed code. My battery performance is noticeably improved over what it was from the day I opened the box 8 months ago. Doze may benefit some, but certainly not my device and how I use it. I am a month in to using this fix and it has allowed me to defer my decision to abandon android until my device hits end of useful life.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-14-2018 09:49 AM
    I get text messages instantly regardless of how long my phones been idle
    Then, if that article is correct as to how Doze works, then Doze must not be working as intended on your phone. I would just be happy about that though!....

Turning off Doze was the fix for me and many others. Also like Al said, it has improved my battery performance too which seems counterintuitive, but I'm happy.
    J Dubbs likes this.
    10-14-2018 11:26 AM
    Yeah, it's all over the board it seems... Texts have always continued to work for me - I use Textra fwiw.

The Gmail app has been the issue for my phone.
    BlueMail has worked for me in real time since I downloaded it after discovering the issue.

I haven't tried Inbox, it's being shut down soon anyway.

I use Nova Prime as my launcher, but still had the issue when tested it on the Pixel launcher
    10-14-2018 12:03 PM
    I've been searching about this notification delay issue and it has been going on for years! When will Google solve this issue for once? The Google Pixel 2 XL is my first Android and I was loving it. But this issue is just unacceptable! It is driving me crazy! We should try to reach out for YouTube channels like MKBHD, Unbox Therapy, This is Tech Today, Front Page Tech, Dave Lee, to see if any of them can help us reach Google on this issue! How about we mention all of them in our tweets to see if it works somehow?

[edit]
    Here it is: https://twitter.com/maumaga/status/1052396881014226944
    Please like and retweet it so we can reach them out! Let's help each other!
    10-16-2018 10:06 PM
    Help me out here by liking and retweeting my tweet! https://twitter.com/maumaga/status/1052396881014226944
    Let's help each other out!
    10-16-2018 10:14 PM
    OK - replacement Pixel 2 arrived. the USB C port works, the notifications still do not....

I tried doing the ADB Disable listed in this thread but I can't get it to work....when I open up the Power Shell and enter "adb devices" I just get an error message.

Any help out there for this? Phone is connected, USB Debugging is on, Data Transfer is on....but nothing happens

EDIT: just had to add "./" before all the commands listed in this thread/linked article

Looking forward to testing this tomorrow - thanks again for the help
    10-17-2018 10:21 PM
    For those that are disabling Doze via ADB, what do you do w/ the Battery Optimization and Adaptive Battery settings? Does disabling Doze affect these options in any way? Does this essentially remove the "optimization option" from all apps b/c the phone will never doze?

I assume "adaptive battery" should still work in the background since that's supposed to cut down usage by apps that you don't use often.

Just trying to figure out the optimum settings for both real time notifications and battery usage.

thanks
    10-18-2018 08:08 AM
    For those that are disabling Doze via ADB, what do you do w/ the Battery Optimization and Adaptive Battery settings? Does disabling Doze affect these options in any way? Does this essentially remove the "optimization option" from all apps b/c the phone will never doze?
    thanks
    Good point, but I did not even think of this or look at it. I had already turned off as much of that as possible while trying to fix the delayed notifications before I learned how to turn off Doze and never truned anything back on. I don't worry about it now because, as I posted above, my battery life is great. The same at least as before turning off Doze.
    10-18-2018 11:41 AM
108 ... 345