Gestures in Beta 3

travo1978

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I spent most of the evening in the beta. i thought I was going to have trouble adjusting, especially with the app switcher where someone like me "lives". But man, I just make a lil "C" with the thumb and the switcher pops right up.

Took a second for me to adjust from the "flick" I got going on with 9.0. But I can tell, I'm going to get along just fine with the full system. Even the back gesture seems like it will be just fine.

The official word is to swipe and hold to get the app switcher, but your "C" thing is way smoother. Thanks for that.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
The back gesture is almost impossible to initiate if you have a case on your phone, I therefore have to stay on the 2 button gesture option.

I hope Google sees that this could be and issue for those who like adding protect to their near $1000 device
I have the Incipio Dual Pro on the 3xl and so far the back gesture is not a problem for me. I'm just having the issue of getting used to the gesture it self.

Rmagruder

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
The back gesture is almost impossible to initiate if you have a case on your phone, I therefore have to stay on the 2 button gesture option.

I hope Google sees that this could be and issue for those who like adding protect to their near $1000 device

I guess it depends upon the case but I haven't had a problem with it on mine.

Rmagruder

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
No that's not how it works. Slide from either side is the same as hitting the back button. Recent apps requires a slide up from the bottom, and either a pause or a move left or right after you have swiped up.

Rmagruder

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Bad move if so. My older in laws hated the gestures so I set their first gen pixels back to buttons. Android has always been about choice. Save the coercion for Apple devices ...

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
So they are giving us a choice then. Gestures or buttons. That’s cool.

I wonder if this is something we'll see in the final release, or if this is a Beta-only option. It'd certainly be a crowd-pleaser, but at some point they'll have to take the option away, so it'd just be delaying the inevitable.

Last edited:

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if this is something we'll see in the final release, or if this is a Beta-only option. It'd certainly be a crowd-pleaser, but at some point they'll have to take the option away, so it'd just be delaying the inevitable.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the gestures. But I have a pixel 2 so I have the 3 buttons. But you're right, at some point all buttons will probably go away anyhow. Will be interesting to see how things are implemented on the P4

pablocasiano

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I am really enjoying the new gestures, I just wish the bar was still the single original pill, it looked better than the thin bar they used. The original pill to me is a Pixel exclusive thing, I'll still take it tho. The new back swipe, not entirely sold on it's implementation, a swipe back from the bar would feel more natural.

Mr MnmlEngr

May 7, 2019
Visit site
So for those of you using the Beta, when you're in an app with a hamburger menu on the left, how do you differentiate when your swipe from left to right opens the menu or goes back?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Perhaps I'm missing something obvious...

How do I go "back" when browsing in Chrome with the new gesture mode enabled??

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Really enjoying the gestures. Also have an Honor View 20 which uses similar gestures, couldn't imagine going back to on screen buttons now.
I find the easiest way to get to the multitasking screen is to swipe up and hold, only have to swipe an inch or so. Although the C swipe mentioned earlier works well too.

Also someone said how to swipe between apps, assuming you mean actually opening them, then just swipe right and left on the bottom bar

liscon17

Jan 5, 2017
Visit site

After having used the beta for a week now I have to say that my earlier comments are now wrong.

While the back gesture still isn't easy to activate with a case on, it is not impossible and I have now 'learnt' the best way to use it.

It does take time to learn how the gestures all work together but I am defiantly getting them and overall I'm finding them more and more enjoyable compared to Pie. Still, they are not 100% amazing and I've found the swipe up to get to get the app switcher still difficult to get to.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Have to say the new gesture system is not very good:

1. You can no longer swipe in from the side for a side menu. For example the Play Store, swiping from the left side now will go back and close the app rather than pull the side menu. You're forced to reach to the top and press the three dot menu.

2. The screen rotate button no longer shows up at all, so when I rotate the phone, there's no way (that I can tell) you manually have the screen rotate. So if I go to Photos, select a picture then rotate my phone to see it in landscape, there's no option to set it to landscape.

3. It's annoying how that when you're in an app, you can smoothly swipe up and then to the right or even do a diagonal swipe up/right to go to the previous app, but when you're on the home screen, doing the exact same motion confuses the UI and it tries to being up the app drawer. You have to do this unintuitive half swipe up, hold, feel the vibration, let go, then it brings the multitasker up.

4. When in landscape mode in YouTube, swiping to move the seek/video navigation bar makes android think you want to switch between apps and it swipe to the previous app.

Overall it's not very good. These issues are the ones that I've noticed and find most annoying/unintuitive. Seems like Google don't think these things through or test them much at all. But it's still in beta, still plenty of time to fix these issues.

Anyway Pixel 3 goes back in my drawer until the next beta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leopeva64