Save big + get 3 months free! Sign up for ExpressVPN today

I understand how to allow exceptions in Do Not Disturb - go to DND, choose "Allow Exceptions", and move the slider - but in choosing to allow "Media" as an exception, I not only allow music apps, but apps like WhatsApp or Facebook. In fact, it allows pretty much every other app on my phone.

I don't want to receive calls after a certain time (except from certain priority contacts), but would like to listen to music as I go to sleep. The problem is I can't listen to music without other apps sending notifications which wake me and my wife up.

Older versions of Android allowed me to exclude specific apps from DND, so I could listen to music without fear of other notifications making a sound. Is there any way of doing that in Pie?
    05-09-2020 04:40 PM
    Hi. What phone are you using?

Please register for an account so we can help you further. With a guest account, you can't reply. Thanks

https://forums.androidcentral.com/sh...d.php?t=409154
    Javier P likes this.
    05-09-2020 04:45 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Which phone and music app are you using?

I would recommend you to create an account so you can reply on this thread.
    05-09-2020 04:48 PM
    Ooops. Got ninja'd again.
    Kizzy Catwoman likes this.
    05-09-2020 04:48 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Do Not Disturb shouldn't prevent you from listening to music -- it would just prevent the music app from giving you a notification about anything. Or are you using some kind of sleep timer function for music that requires a notification?
    05-09-2020 04:52 PM
    Hi, I've created an account. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active.

Welcome to Android Central! Do Not Disturb shouldn't prevent you from listening to music -- it would just prevent the music app from giving you a notification about anything. Or are you using some kind of sleep timer function for music that requires a notification?
    B. Biddy - When I turn on Do Not Disturb, it turns off all sound, including Spotify. If I choose "Media" as an exception, I can listen to music again. However, "Media" also allows all my other apps- Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, even the default photo app - to send notifications, which vibrate and wake us up in the middle of the night.

I'd like to listen to music, set a sleep timer on Spotify, and not have to to worry about any noises disturbing us after we've gone to sleep.
    05-09-2020 05:03 PM
    Oh I see. I'll have to see if that happens on my Pixel 3 XL -- I can't remember off the top of my head. I do have it set to allow media sounds on DND, and I don't recall getting app notifications overnight, but I might not be remembering everything.
    05-09-2020 05:09 PM
    Hi, I've created an account. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Active.

B. Biddy - When I turn on Do Not Disturb, it turns off all sound, including Spotify. If I choose "Media" as an exception, I can listen to music again. However, "Media" also allows all my other apps- Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook, WhatsApp, Twitter, even the default photo app - to send notifications, which vibrate and wake us up in the middle of the night.

I'd like to listen to music, set a sleep timer on Spotify, and not have to to worry about any noises disturbing us after we've gone to sleep.
    That's strange. I just checked on my wife's Moto G8+ running Pie and I had no problem playing Spotify without setting any DND exception.
    05-09-2020 05:14 PM
    If I am listening to Spotify, it turns off as soon as DND comes on as scheduled. I can only start listening again either by allowing Media as an exception or turning DND off altogether.
    05-09-2020 05:16 PM
    If I am listening to Spotify, it turns off as soon as DND comes on as scheduled
    Mmmmm, try this. Go to settings - apps - Spotify - Notifications - tap the text "Playback" (keep the toggle on) - Advanced - make sure that "Override Do not Disturb" is enabled.
    In Android Pie I want to listen to music while using Do Not Disturb and not have other notifications-img-20200509-wa0002.jpeg
    05-09-2020 05:21 PM
    Mmmmm, try this. Go to settings - apps - Spotify - Notifications - tap the text "Playback" (keep the toggle on) - Advanced - make sure that "Override Do not Disturb" is enabled.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20200509-WA0002.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	320256
    I don't have that as an option. This is what I get when I click on Playback:
    Attached Thumbnails In Android Pie I want to listen to music while using Do Not Disturb and not have other notifications-screenshot_20200509-232355_settings.jpg  
    Javier P likes this.
    05-09-2020 05:26 PM
    I don't have that as an option.
    Ugh, that must be a Samsung thing. I'm lost with the changes they make in their phones, but I suppose there should be some other place where you could change that behaviour. Let's see if @mustang7757 knows about it.
    05-09-2020 05:31 PM
    Ugh, that must be a Samsung thing. I'm lost with the changes they make in their phones, but I suppose there should be some other place where you could change that behaviour. Let's see if @mustang7757 knows about it.
    Let me check
    Javier P likes this.
    05-09-2020 05:57 PM
    You have to long press spotify >tap info>scroll to notifications >tap play back and at the bottom dnd excludeIn Android Pie I want to listen to music while using Do Not Disturb and not have other notifications-screenshot_20200509-190340_settings.jpeg
    05-09-2020 06:05 PM
    They on pie so might not have there , let me check another thing , im on andriod 10
    05-09-2020 06:09 PM
    Try bixby routines add spotify to open up certain time , with no notification see if that works with dnd In Android Pie I want to listen to music while using Do Not Disturb and not have other notifications-screenshot_20200509-191815_bixby-20routines.jpeg
    05-09-2020 06:19 PM
    Try bixby routines add spotify to open up certain time , with no notification see if that works with dnd Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200509-191815_Bixby%20Routines.jpeg 
Views:	2 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	320259
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I was trying to work out whether I had Bixby Routines (I didn't), then how to download it, then how to run that routine.

It opens Spotify, plays the song, but there's no sound:

In Android Pie I want to listen to music while using Do Not Disturb and not have other notifications-screenshot_20200510-131118_spotify-1-.jpg
    05-10-2020 07:14 AM
    Sorry for the delay in replying. I was trying to work out whether I had Bixby Routines (I didn't), then how to download it, then how to run that routine.

It opens Spotify, plays the song, but there's no sound:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200510-131118_Spotify[1].jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	170.0 KB 
ID:	320276
    Hi, I forget the older Samsung didn't come with bixby routines. I'm not sure why there's no sound , might have to play with it . I don't use either Spotify or routines just trying offer some advice.
    05-10-2020 05:14 PM