05-25-2020 12:37 PM
30 12
tools
    I have 500 mbps fiber setup at home installed a week ago. I have found that on android note 9 certain apps like netflix, twitter, prime video, amazon shopping (But Youtube works) dont work. But they work fine on mobile internet. Running these websites on my laptop they work fine over wifi. I also found that my sony android smart tv is facing the same problem with the same apps not working.

I tested these apps on an Iphone-they worked fine. They also worked fine on oneplus7.

I have rummaged forums and platforms trying to solve this problem but no help so far. My wifi setup is as follows:

GPON Router(given by my ISP)----TP Link Router(Setup as an accesspoint)--- My android device

Also on my phone by using a vpn I gain access to these apps.

Pl help guys

Spaceboy.
    05-23-2020 07:58 AM
    [Moved from developers app forums to Note 9 forum]
    05-23-2020 11:02 AM
    Hi, Buddy can you suggest a solution...Would be grateful
    05-23-2020 12:59 PM
    Hi, Buddy can you suggest a solution...Would be grateful
    Hi, you try rebooting your router?
    05-23-2020 01:36 PM
    Yup done that. Point is I cant figure out if its my ISP or my device. Since amazon, netflix, twitter are accessible on laptop, iphone but not on android specifically my note 9 and my sony android smart TV...unable to come to any conclusion
    05-23-2020 01:47 PM
    Yup done that. Point is I cant figure out if its my ISP or my device. Since amazon, netflix, twitter are accessible on laptop, iphone but not on android specifically my note 9 and my sony android smart TV...unable to come to any conclusion
    Those are only 3 that has issue , everything else works ok on phone like web surfing other apps?
    05-23-2020 07:25 PM
    Everything else works like a Charm with no disruptions. I get 200-250 mbps download speed. Youtube in 4k. The apps that dont work that I have been able to indentify are : all amazon apps (shopping, prime video etc), netflix, twitter , (dont use fb so cant say). Internet browsing is a breeze. Weird thing is that these same apps work fine on an Iphone X , all pc laptops and even a one plus7.
    05-23-2020 07:29 PM
    Everything else works like a Charm with no disruptions. I get 200-250 mbps download speed. Youtube in 4k. The apps that dont work that I have been able to indentify are : all amazon apps (shopping, prime video etc), netflix, twitter , (dont use fb so cant say). Internet browsing is a breeze. Weird thing is that these same apps work fine on an Iphone X , all pc laptops and even a one plus7.
    Strange , any VPN?
    05-23-2020 07:37 PM
    So just reread , with VPN it gets access to those apps , you download from play store?
    05-23-2020 07:43 PM
    05-23-2020 07:51 PM
    Yes when I use a thunder VPN (free from playstore) I can access those apps. Problem is that on my android smart tv I cant setup the Vpn since Ill have to buy...Im guessing there is a common solution for both the devices since problem is same
    05-23-2020 08:01 PM
    Yes when I use a thunder VPN (free from playstore) I can access those apps. Problem is that on my android smart tv I cant setup the Vpn since Ill have to buy...Im guessing there is a common solution for both the devices since problem is same
    That might be a work around, but why just those 3 apps its strange , and those apps where download from play store ? Your Note 9 is international version?
    05-23-2020 08:04 PM
    Yes phone is stock version. Absolutely Legit. Im attaching a link of people who have had similar problems https://piunikaweb.com/2019/01/16/ne...ld-be-culprit/
    05-23-2020 08:07 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Who's your ISP? Are you able to log into your router settings and see if any QoS option is turned on? If so, then try turning it off. Also make sure there aren't any blocked ports. See this guide for some other ideas: http://forums.androidcentral.com/amb...-problems.html
    05-23-2020 08:58 PM
    Yes phone is stock version. Absolutely Legit. Im attaching a link of people who have had similar problems https://piunikaweb.com/2019/01/16/ne...ld-be-culprit/
    If you can test this on another wifi like to see if sane issue.
    05-23-2020 10:22 PM
    Thx Diddy for pitching in. I am able to log into both routers. The GPON router as well as the TP link A9 Wifi router. TP link router is set to access point mode. Qos has been disabled on the Alphion 1601 ONT GPON router..( supplied by my ISP which is MTNL(Delhi,India).

As far as ports are concerned, using a website canyou seeme.org the port 80 connection fails. So I set up a NAT virtual server section and port triggering section with a IP of my router (192.168.1.1) and TCP 80 as port. Apparently the port is still not open. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

But as far as port issue are concerned the apps are working on Apple, One plus7 and their websites. Only the bravia smart tv and my note 9 are facing the problem.
    05-24-2020 03:21 AM
    The only other wifi I have access to is the the 4g hotspot device which is not a wifi in the conventional sense. All apps are working on that since it is the extension of the mobile network internet ( different sim as on the note 9 but same operator).

Since we are in a lockdown, would be tough to connect to another wifi but I'll give it a try.
    05-24-2020 03:27 AM
    Diddy, I use the netanalyzr app to check for the port, I found some interesting results. When I checked for the main router (192.168.1.1) , it showed some ports open.

Got a slightly different result for the tp link( 192.168.1.5)dont know why since its acting only as access point.

On the note 9 ( 192.168.1.3), the result was shocking. All ports are closed.

I have attached screenshots for all three.

Dont know why ports on note 9 showing closed.
    Attached Thumbnails Certain apps(Twitter, amazon prime, netflix not working over wifi but work over mobile internet-smartselect_20200524-131349_network-analyzer.jpg   Certain apps(Twitter, amazon prime, netflix not working over wifi but work over mobile internet-smartselect_20200524-131437_network-analyzer.jpg   Certain apps(Twitter, amazon prime, netflix not working over wifi but work over mobile internet-smartselect_20200524-131538_network-analyzer.jpg  
    05-24-2020 03:55 AM
    If you look under Settings, More Settings, VPN Setup. What is listed when you select it?
    05-24-2020 04:52 AM
    Thanx methodman89 for pitching in.

Under the normal circumstance I am not using vpn. I selected vpn setup there as you said. I have thunder vpn (free download) listed there. The apps work when I use the vpn but they dont work under normal circumstances
    05-24-2020 05:14 AM
    Have you tried to force stop the VPN, forget your Wi-Fi from connection settings, clear the phones cache partition and reboot. Rescan and add back your Wi-Fi. Seems like you narrowed it down to a configuration or conflict issue. Good luck
    05-24-2020 09:45 AM
    @methodman89 I deleted the VPN setup as you said and followed those steps but its still not working.

A few things I have learnt during this time

1. My ISP router (GPON fibre router/modem) also has wifi. I have tried directly connecting to its wifi rather than the TP link access point, but the apps still not dont work.

2. Also the web version of these apps like twitter, amazon are also not working on the Wifi as well (the homepage just loads partially and nothing else happens). This probably means my ISP has some issue with the android platform particularly Samsung and Sony Bravia (since its only affecting my Smart TV and Note 9 and not Apple Iphone and One plus 7)

3. Now whether the issue is at the android level or ISP level? I feel that since all this apps work fine on laptop, iphone, one plus 7 with same Wifi its likely to be at the android level

So what settings/ports maybe for the android I need to make is something that needs figuring out...

Spaceboy.
    05-24-2020 11:50 AM
    So, you have a combination modem /wireless router and a separate wireless router? Are both from your provider?
    Are they dual band and have you tried both 2g and 5g? Is the seperate wireless router for a security system?
    Also, try different browsers and try a Ookla Speedtest, and post the result.
    05-24-2020 12:04 PM
    So my setup for using note 9 / Smart TV is something like this:

Alphion 1601 GPON Router/ Modem provided by ISP (In which the optical fibre cable is plugged in)--------TP Link AC 1900------ Phone/ TV

THe Alphion GPON Router/Modem also has Wifi (Single Band)---The wifi range with this is less and I get low speeds.

So I bought the TP Link Archer A9 AC1900. This has been setup only as an access point mainly to extend WIFI around the house and get higher speeds with it

When connected with Wifi of the ISP router/modem I get lower speeds

In both cases (Direct ISP Wifi and TP Link Wifi) I am unable to connect with the android apps and their websites.

I am attaching the screenshots. Have tested wesite version of these apps on different browsers. Still not working.

Spaceboy.
    Attached Thumbnails Certain apps(Twitter, amazon prime, netflix not working over wifi but work over mobile internet-isp-router.jpg   Certain apps(Twitter, amazon prime, netflix not working over wifi but work over mobile internet-tp-link.jpg  
    05-24-2020 12:23 PM
    Your connection looks good. If you have done everything above, and it's a few apps, my last advice is to delete the apps in question, clear the cache partition and reboot, reinstall the apps.
    If still not working, other than your region being blocked for those apps, or I don't know.
    Others may have additional advice if the above does not work.
    Good luck
    05-24-2020 02:16 PM
30 12