My battery capacity has fallen off of a cliff

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

On Monday, my Galaxy Note 8 was functioning perfectly fine. Now three years old, its battery doesn't quite last all day any longer, but that was manageable. Tuesday morning was a whole different story. It dropped to 20% by Noon, and then after a recharge, down to 6% by 5:00p. So literally overnight, my phone's battery capacity has rendered the phone almost unusable.

I can think of no freshly installed app that could be responsible. I am willing to hard-reset the phone, but I don't really have any confirmation of that addressing this. So that is my first question: are there battery conditions like what I am describing that are addressed with a factory reset?

What else should I know as I troubleshoot this?

A

Android Central Question

Why is my battery draining so fast

(Trying again, now that I have logged in to my account)
After three years of normal operation and the gradual decline of battery capacity that is expected with age, yesterday, my Galaxy Note 8's battery capacity fell off of a cliff. Literally overnight, I am now losing about 1% every two minutes. There is no app activity that would account for this.

I am willing to factory reset the phone if the smart folks here think that is a reasonable course of action.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I would agree that the battery might be starting to deteriorate. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which may show Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html
You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenw0419