Trouble with Android File Transfer to Mac ONLY with accessing SD Card ***FIXED***

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

At the very least, this worked for me. I have a Galaxy S8 Active with a 128GB Sandisk SD card along with a 2008 Macbook Pro running Yosemite 10.10.5. I've been putting music on it periodically (every 2-3 weeks on average). All of a sudden AFT would only recognize the phone's internal memory. When I would click on the SD card, the spinning pinwheel would show and the message "Can't access device storage. If your device's screen is locked. . . " etc. I reinstalled AFT on the laptop, opened up and re-seated SD card. Still nothing. I then moved all files from the SD card to the internal storage and formatted the SD card. I moved the files back and yet, still nothing, same result.

What I did next is what ended up making AFT recognize the SD card. I took 1 song from my laptop and transferred it via AFT. I disconnected the USB wire from the phone and moved the song to the SD card form within the phone itself. I then reconnected the USB wire to the phone, started AFT again and VOILA!!! It now recognizes my SD card again!!!

Hopefully this will work for you. Please reply and mention whether or not it worked. Good luck!!!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
However, I believe AFT is not supported on newer versions of macOS. It should be noted that Yosemite is now quite old (almost 6 years old) and I believe is no longer receiving security patching. Most people are not going to be running Yosemite, this may not work on their Mac.

MTTwister

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Accessing internal storage - Moto G Power 8- 2020. Carefully hidden an undocumented- The USB connection needs to be toggled to file transfer in order to access the storage on this freakin' device. Check your USB Options also... unreal. Setting up 2 new phones, and wanted to load up the SD Card.. May not need to again, but , Really !!??

MacInOz

Sep 18, 2021
Visit site
However, I believe AFT is not supported on newer versions of macOS. It should be noted that Yosemite is now quite old (almost 6 years old) and I believe is no longer receiving security patching. Most people are not going to be running Yosemite, this may not work on their Mac.

Finally I think I've found the answer to why I can't find the Android File Transfer app on Google Play Store any longer!
It's a real shame as I used it for many years to transfer photos from my phone to pre Catalina Mac without any fuss.
Now, every app I try is clunky, for the want of a better description.
My needs are simple - connect my Samsung Note 9, with a USB lead, to my MacBook Pro, which runs Catalina, and have my phone files appear on Finder, whereby I can drag them over to the Mac for processing.
It used to be that simple, now it's a chore from hell.
Any help, suggestions or advice is most welcome.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
@MacInOz - I don't believe AFT was ever in the Play Store, it was the app on the Mac side (at least that's where I saw it).

I can't help with any solutions with the described hardware, I now run a NAS at home to which my devices back up their photos and I can access that NAS from my Mac over my home network.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Finally I think I've found the answer to why I can't find the Android File Transfer app on Google Play Store any longer!
It's a real shame as I used it for many years to transfer photos from my phone to pre Catalina Mac without any fuss.
Now, every app I try is clunky, for the want of a better description.
My needs are simple - connect my Samsung Note 9, with a USB lead, to my MacBook Pro, which runs Catalina, and have my phone files appear on Finder, whereby I can drag them over to the Mac for processing.
It used to be that simple, now it's a chore from hell.
Any help, suggestions or advice is most welcome.
Hi, welcome to AC!
Since your a member now you can try post your question in imore with same user name and password and see if anyone has a suggestion there as some members here on both sites.

https://forums.imore.com/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34