After migrating WhatsApp, why are some of the wrong pictures showing?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have migrated WhatsApp from my old phone to my new phone (Galaxy S4 -> S6). I copied the WhatsApp folder to my new phone and installed WhatsApp, and the migration largely worked. However, in some of my chats, photos have been replaced with another photo. I know it is the wrong photo because the correct photo appears if I look at the chat on my old phone, which much also mean that the old photos still exist somewhere. Likewise, if I look at the chat in WhatsApp Web, the correct images appear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - I don't want to have to read through every chat comparing each image.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. To reply to this thread and be notified when someone comments please register an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/409154-join-android-central-community-new-post.html

I don't WhatsApp so I really don't know much of anything about it. I am a bit surprised that you would have to bring a folder with you to a new device, especially since you can view the conversations online and see all of the same stuff without any additional folders. So my feeling is one of a few things is happening;

Something has renamed the photos, possibly the ones in the migrated folder. So img06271 was daffodils in the park got renamed and an image with the same name or similar name has taken its place.

When you installed the app it created its own WhatsApp folder, which it most likely did even with the migration, and it is populating the image holes with images from the folder it created when installed.

It's totally ignoring your migrated folder and using other images as placeholders for missing images.

You never said if these were images from your end or ones that were shared with you?

Since you can view the conversations online with any migrated folder, I would uninstall or sign out of the app, remove the migrated folder and sign back in or install the app and allow WhatsApp to do what it does without any help. There's a very good chance that the app knows what's best without any help.