Cannot go back to stable Android 10 from Android 11 Beta. Why?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Trying to Opt out of Android 11 Beta. Every time I attempt to download Android 10 OTA one of two things happens: Either the "Optimizing Apps" progress bar will stop just before finishing and actually regress backwards; or when I do the factory data reset, I end up with Android 11 Beta anyways.
-Pixel 4 64 gb
-Verizon Wireless
-RCS Chat ALSO not working
- I have confirmed that I can see an "Opt In" on the Android Beta page meaning I have successfully opted out.

akloady252

Jul 1, 2020
Visit site
Why am I unable to Opt out of Android 11 Beta to stable Android 10?

Trying to Opt out of Android 11 Beta. Every time I attempt to download Android 10 OTA one of two things happens: Either the "Optimizing Apps" progress bar will stop just before finishing and actually regress backwards; or when I do the factory data reset, I end up with Android 11 Beta anyways.
-Pixel 4 64 gb Unlocked
-Verizon Wireless SIM
-RCS Chat ALSO not working
- I have confirmed that I can see an "Opt In" on the Android Beta page meaning I have successfully opted out.
- If I just do a simple reset, it is as if I do a factory data reset
-

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site
Re: Why am I unable to Opt out of Android 11 Beta to stable Android 10?

The only way to do this is flashing a factory image and this means unlocking the bootloader. If this is a Verizon device, the bootloader is unlockable.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I thought reverting from a beta to the stable version meant having to re-flash the OS, but on a Pixel I don't think you need to unlock the bootloader for that.

akloady252

Jul 1, 2020
Visit site

Thanks a bunch! I now have the stable version of Android 10. There are two things that are an issue. One is that Chat features are still not available. I had this problem prior to any issues I was having. The second, newer issue is that I am unable to setup Face Unlock. Every time I try, I receive "Enrollment was not completed."

anon(10614692)

Jun 26, 2019
Visit site

RCS Messaging

Try-
1. Turn on Airplane Mode
2. Clear storage on the Carrier Services app
3. Force Stop Messages app
4. Go into the Messages app
5. Tap the 3 dots at the top right and choose Settings
6. Tap Chat Features. It should say something about failing to connect with a field to enter your phone number and a "Retry" button. Enter your phone number, turn Airplane mode off, and tap Retry. It should work then.

Face Unlock

THis is the bad news! You may need to return your device for replacement https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...-reverting-from-android-11-developer-preview/

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Yeah, I thought reverting from a beta to the stable version meant having to re-flash the OS, but on a Pixel I don't think you need to unlock the bootloader for that.
No you don't have to reflash, but it will factory reset when you go back to stable build and no bootloader unlocked for this .

akloady252

Jul 1, 2020
Visit site

I contacted Google Support and it is a known issue that Face Unlock does not work when downgrading back to the stable version of Android 10 from Beta 11.