"Message expired or not available"

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have a ZTE Blade A3 Prime with Android 10. I get an intermittent error when receiving larger text messages or pictures - "Message expired or not available". I have Yahoo Mobile. They have told me that the service is working perfectly fine. I tried a factory reset, but have same problem.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That usually means that there was a problem receiving the MMS message, possibly due to poor mobile data signal at the time the message arrived. Are you able to receive picture texts successfully at other times, or does this happen any time someone tries to send you one?

scotty4872

Dec 25, 2020
Visit site
I am able to receive texts and pictures at times. It only happens intermittently. I'll get the text portion of a message, but not the attached picture. Instead I get the "Message expired or not available" message instead of the picture. If it is a longer text message, when the problem occurs, all I get is the "Message expired or not available" message.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if there's a good online resource for that. You might try contacting Yahoo Mobile customer support (or possibly Verizon support).

An app like Network Cell Info Lite can tell you which band you're currently connected to. If it's one of the other bands and the signal is strong, then you could probably exclude this possibility (unless the problem seems to happen only when you're in certain areas that might use Band 66 predominantly).

scotty4872

Dec 25, 2020
Visit site
I installed Network Cell Info Lite. It shows that I'm connected to band 4 and I have a full signal. I'm currently using Google Messages (that is what came pre-installed on the phone). At least with that, I can see who tried messaging me and have them resend the message. Sometimes that works.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I installed Network Cell Info Lite. It shows that I'm connected to band 4 and I have a full signal. I'm currently using Google Messages (that is what came pre-installed on the phone). At least with that, I can see who tried messaging me and have them resend the message. Sometimes that works.
You can try this , turn off the phone and take the sim out reinsert the sim and start the phone and test

scotty4872

Dec 25, 2020
Visit site
Still have same issue. If my friend Bill sends me a text with an attached pic, I get the text and the error message in place of the pic. He has Verizon. If I have him send the same message to my friend Paul, he receives it perfectly fine. He has AT&T. If Paul forwards that message to me, I receive it perfectly fine. However, if Paul saves the pic and then sends me a text message with the saved pic attached, I get the same error. That doesn't make any sense.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned that you have strong signal on band 4, which I presume is at home. Do you experience the problem at home, or only when you're away from home?