Can't boot tablet to recovery mode in order to reset.

onewomanarmy

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Purchased the Samsung S7 tablet with my new phone, decided to sell, unopened, in order to offset phone cost. A week after receiving, buyer contacted me saying tablet was acting funny, wouldn't take his password, would shut down sometimes, and he couldn't factory reset. Of course, I had to accept the return, and am now trying to figure out if this was caused by buyer or true issue with tablet. Upon receiving, tablet is locked, so I force shutdown (power and vol down buttons) and then switch to power and vol up buttons to try to boot to recovery mode. I've tried probably 50 times to get this to work with no luck. Interestingly, the tablet seems to shut down on it's own when left alone.
Can anyone advise me on what to do next?
thanks so much, I'm really frustrated with this situation.

Update - I found a video showing connecting USB-C headphones to the tablet when unable to boot to recovery. I didn't have headphones, but used USB-C cable to connect to computer, which somehow allowed me to get to recovery mode. Now I'm at the Google account problem - without the email and password from the buyer (which I won't get), I can go no further.

Last edited:

Kizzy Catwoman

Ambassador
Feb 2, 2017
Visit site
I am so sorry this has happened to you. Try and reset it by plugging it into a Windows PC that is logged in and seeing if you can enter recovery mode. You should contact the buyer and tell them they need to give you the account details to unlock the device as well. Just in case.

This is why I am careful when I sell things that I show the buyer they are working before they take it away and say it is sold as seen.

onewomanarmy

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Right - the tablet was locked, the buyer said his password no longer worked to log in to tablet. I've since found a video showing connecting USB-C headphones to the tablet when unable to boot to recovery. I didn't have headphones, but used USB-C cable to connect to computer, which somehow allowed me to get to recovery mode. So I was able to do a factory reset. Now I'm at the Google account problem - without the email and password from the buyer (which I know I won't get, nor would I give mine to anyone), I can go no further. Searching for ways to get around that now. So frustrating.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Right - the tablet was locked, the buyer said his password no longer worked to log in to tablet. I've since found a video showing connecting USB-C headphones to the tablet when unable to boot to recovery. I didn't have headphones, but used USB-C cable to connect to computer, which somehow allowed me to get to recovery mode. So I was able to do a factory reset. Now I'm at the Google account problem - without the email and password from the buyer (which I know I won't get, nor would I give mine to anyone), I can go no further. Searching for ways to get around that now. So frustrating.
Wow, the buyer locked their Gmail account to the device. Did you sell this through swappa or eBay ? Maybe contact them and explain what the buyer did because at this point that tablet is worthless . Do you have any videos to prove it was sealed to prove no account was attached and should be that way upon them returning it to you?

onewomanarmy

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been chatting ebay from the beginning of this guy saying he wanted a refund as I suspected his problem was a user error and not a tablet error. It seems there may be some quirkiness re recovery mode as I had to do some research to figure out how to get there when normal path didn't work. I think he may have somehow locked himself out of the tablet, so he couldn't get back in to remove his accounts before he sent it back. While I don't think it was intentional, I'm still getting screwed. His complaint wasn't that the tablet wasn't received as stated, but that it didn't work correctly once he got it. Per Samsung, they say since I have receipt of purchasing the tablet, I can send to them and they will fix this issue - but my concern is how long that will take and losing any leg I have to stand on regarding the ebay situation. If I have a leg in the first place. Talking to them is like beating your head against the wall.
I've come across a software that claims to remove the google lock issue, tossing the idea around of giving that a shot. Though I'm skeptical. I'd like to get this tablet usable and see if there is actually an issue that led to this situation. I don't want to screw the guy over if there is a true problem with the tablet, but I'm just not sure how to proceed.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've been chatting ebay from the beginning of this guy saying he wanted a refund as I suspected his problem was a user error and not a tablet error. It seems there may be some quirkiness re recovery mode as I had to do some research to figure out how to get there when normal path didn't work. I think he may have somehow locked himself out of the tablet, so he couldn't get back in to remove his accounts before he sent it back. While I don't think it was intentional, I'm still getting screwed. His complaint wasn't that the tablet wasn't received as stated, but that it didn't work correctly once he got it. Per Samsung, they say since I have receipt of purchasing the tablet, I can send to them and they will fix this issue - but my concern is how long that will take and losing any leg I have to stand on regarding the ebay situation. If I have a leg in the first place. Talking to them is like beating your head against the wall.
I've come across a software that claims to remove the google lock issue, tossing the idea around of giving that a shot. Though I'm skeptical. I'd like to get this tablet usable and see if there is actually an issue that led to this situation. I don't want to screw the guy over if there is a true problem with the tablet, but I'm just not sure how to proceed.
Yeah understand , i know it will be frustrating but if it was sealed and have proof by pictures i think you have a strong case with ebay saying device wasn't locked to any accounts and that you want it back to original unlocked condition from the buyer , it doesnt look easy but try stick with it or like you mentioned start a return with Samsung explaining the situation . Never been in this situation hopefully you can get it going or other members that had experience like yours chime in

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe so, I believe it needs to be done by removing the account from the device before resetting it.

Actually, thinking about it - no, it won't. That just removes authorization for the device to access the account, it does not de-register the device from the account for the purposes of doing a factory reset.

onewomanarmy

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I was afraid of that. I'm feeling less and less like I have any leg to stand on regarding ebay and discussions I've had on their community pages. I'm going to try sending the tablet to Samsung with my receipt, they act like they can help.

I realize ebay is heavy on the buyer side, but I guess I thought there was some room for the seller's rights in there.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and commiserations.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I was afraid of that. I'm feeling less and less like I have any leg to stand on regarding ebay and discussions I've had on their community pages. I'm going to try sending the tablet to Samsung with my receipt, they act like they can help.

I realize ebay is heavy on the buyer side, but I guess I thought there was some room for the seller's rights in there.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and commiserations.
Hopefully Samsung can get it going for you , what a situation :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa