How can I disable "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep?"

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

my tablet automatically switches to "always on" setting, even if i switch to "off" because always on drains battery. I need an app to block ability to stay in the off position

mt07

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
re: How can I disable "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep?"

Hi everyone. I have registered just now. The tablet in question is asus zenpad 8.0. And yes, even in safe mode the same issue occurs. I only had this thing for 2.5 years

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Hi everyone. I have registered just now. The tablet in question is asus zenpad 8.0. And yes, even in safe mode the same issue occurs. I only had this thing for 2.5 years
Hi, welcome to AC!

Have you check in wifi settings under advanced? Screenshot_20210827-145426_Settings.jpg

mt07

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

At this time i want to thank everyone who is trying to help me with my issue. So far under developer i have ...under apps section : kill process and cellular data on. As well as window animation 1x ..

iam dismayed that that link to my tablet said this model is discontinued. Well, time to start saving for a new one

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

It's rare to find a tablet these days that's supported beyond 2 years. Samsung does better than everyone else, with their recent updated policy being 4 years of security updates for flagship tablets (like the Tab S6 and Tab S7): https://www.sammobile.com/news/samsung-galaxy-4-year-software-update-policy-explains/. But your device is 6 years old, so it is totally normal for it to be no longer supported. (Heck, even Google's own Pixel devices lose support after 3 years.)

mt07

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

Once again lol the wifi always on was switched to the default (on) it must be fault of the system...many apps i deny control of system with exception of google. FWIW this problem just started up mid 2020

mt07

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

Does anyone else know of an app to block device from switching the wifi to "always" ? It happened again 2 times since yesterday. Once you choose to set it as never it should stay that way. Next time no more asus tablets!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

As a workaround, what if you turn on Airplane Mode overnight (or whenever you're not planning to use the tablet)?

mt07

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site

As a workaround, what if you turn on Airplane Mode overnight (or whenever you're not planning to use the tablet)?

I tried that, nada. I usually just turn it off completely. I will have to bear with it until get another tablet. I want to try hyundai brand, its at target.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Two things.

First it sounds like you are wanting to leave it in sleep mode for extended periods of time so why not just just plug it in so that it stays powered?

Second if we're talking about a tablet that doesn't have its own data access without WiFi, what is the purpose of keeping it on when not in use? With no data and no WiFi it can't be getting notifications or updates, and not to sound course, but at that point its on just to be on.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I tried that, nada. I usually just turn it off completely. I will have to bear with it until get another tablet. I want to try hyundai brand, its at target.

Are you saying that wi-fi still comes on even in Airplane Mode? That's not supposed to happen.

mt07

Aug 27, 2021
Visit site
Inquiry about tablet and "wifi always on" issue

i vaguely recall i posted a thread about this issue....but there has to be like an app in the google playstore or even an apk file where it can prevent device from automatically switching back to wifi default "keep wifi on during sleep" because my tablet is an old outdated asus zenpad 8.0 model, it reboots most of the time running android 7. Everytime have to manually switch it back to "never" if the wifi mode is turned on, it will drain the battery signifigantly!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Inquiry about tablet and "wifi always on" issue

i vaguely recall i posted a thread about this issue....but there has to be like an app in the google playstore or even an apk file where it can prevent device from automatically switching back to wifi default "keep wifi on during sleep" because my tablet is an old outdated asus zenpad 8.0 model, it reboots most of the time running android 7. Everytime have to manually switch it back to "never" if the wifi mode is turned on, it will drain the battery signifigantly!

I merged your post into that other thread you had created before.

Does this happen in Safe Mode as well? https://safemodewiki.com/guides/how-to-boot-into-safe-mode-on-asus-zenpad-8-0-z380kl/

Also, are you powering the tablet down every night?