Replacement for 3rd Gen iPad

A

AC Question

I have had my 16GB 3rd Gen iPad for two years now, and while the screen is amazing, battery life is fantastic, and there is a wide selection of apps- the device has become nigh on unusable. It crashes frequently (on iOS 7.1.1- a big mistake, that update!), randomly reboots and freezes.
As much as it pains me, I'll need to replace it. Ever since I sold my iPhone 3GS for a SGS3, I have been an Android user- I haven't gotten an Android tablet simply because the iPad did everything perfectly. My needs for the new tablet are:
* I use it as a schoolbook- no note-taking, just as a schoolbook.
*Because of the above, battery life has to be good- over 7-8 hours of constant use (can be on Airplane mode).
*The screen resolution should be high.
*No software preference- that's what XDA is for ;)

Thanks in advance!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would honestly say a Nexus then. Lots of support, if not using any data signal you should get plenty of time out of the battery. When are you looking at getting one? If closer to fall that might even be better. Google's tendancy is to clearance in late summer to make room for the new models. Or, that opens you up to the new models as well.

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I would honestly say a Nexus then. Lots of support, if not using any data signal you should get plenty of time out of the battery. When are you looking at getting one? If closer to fall that might even be better. Google's tendancy is to clearance in late summer to make room for the new models. Or, that opens you up to the new models as well.
Thanks, I was looking at the Nexus 7 2013- the low price (even where I live- not in the States) and awesome value are really appealing. I was thinking that the screen size might be a little small as a replacement for an A4-size textbook.
Regarding your question, if I am going to replace it it will be sometime in August- so I will have time to set it up, load all the textbooks etc.

P.S. My timezone is GMT +3, so if answering takes a while, that's probably just me sleeping XP

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, I was looking at the Nexus 7 2013- the low price (even where I live- not in the States) and awesome value are really appealing. I was thinking that the screen size might be a little small as a replacement for an A4-size textbook.
Regarding your question, if I am going to replace it it will be sometime in August- so I will have time to set it up, load all the textbooks etc.

P.S. My timezone is GMT +3, so if answering takes a while, that's probably just me sleeping XP

No sweat. I just did want to point out that about that time the current device will probably go on clearance. So if you are thinking of getting it now, it might be a good idea to try to hold out as long as possible.

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Alright, I'll try to hold out. I have to ask- do you own a Nexus 7? Or know anybody that does? Because I want to know if the display won't be a bit on the small side, coming from an iPad.

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright, I'll try to hold out. I have to ask- do you own a Nexus 7? Or know anybody that does? Because I want to know if the display won't be a bit on the small side, coming from an iPad.

I don't. I have a Tab 2 7 inch and I think its OK. Best thing to try and do is see if anyone has those devices live so you can judge for yourself.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't. I have a Tab 2 7 inch and I think its OK. Best thing to try and do is see if anyone has those devices live so you can judge for yourself.

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app

Alright, we have a shop nearby that displays many tablets, laptops and consoles. I was going there anyway, so I'll check out the N7 2013 they have on display.
Btw, thanks a lot for the quick and concise answers!
I'll probably be going there today or tomorrow, I'll let you know what I have decided.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright, we have a shop nearby that displays many tablets, laptops and consoles. I was going there anyway, so I'll check out the N7 2013 they have on display.
Btw, thanks a lot for the quick and concise answers!
I'll probably be going there today or tomorrow, I'll let you know what I have decided.

Ok. Cool. I really don't think you will be disappointed. Something to keep in mind that as you give up screen size, you are also shedding weight, if that might be a deciding factor. Otherwise, there is also a 10" Nexus too.

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok. Cool. I really don't think you will be disappointed. Something to keep in mind that as you give up screen size, you are also shedding weight, if that might be a deciding factor. Otherwise, there is also a 10" Nexus too.

Yeah, I was looking for a smaller tablet anyway. Also, just to make things as easy as possible, I am relatively tech savvy- I've flashed multiple roms, kernels, pushed adb commands...

Last edited:

anon(8952473)

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, I factory-reset the iPad and updated to the latest version.It still crashes from time to time, but it is at least a bit more usable than before. As I really like it, I'm going to try and extend its longevity as much as I can. Therefore, I will not be getting the N7. GolfDriver97, you were a great help, thanks a lot!
Admins/Mods, feel free to lock.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45