Google Talk Authentication Failed Notification. Need serious help!

Oblivious93

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
About six months ago, I dropped my phone in a mop bucket and it died. One of my friends and coworkers had just got a new phone, so she gave me her old Motorola Droid, which is an Android phone.
Here is my issue: she had Google Talk enabled on her phone. As soon as I logged in to my own account and out of hers, I started getting the "Google Talk Authentication Failed" notification. I went through all sorts of things to try to get it to stop sending me these notifications, but I couldn't figure it out and finally gave up. Now, though, my husband has just started a new job where he travels all over the United States and I need to be able to have him reach me at all times. The stupid notification keeps going off every hour and it's really starting to bug me, making me think I'm getting something from him when I'm not.
I don't know how many websites, threads, and articles I've gone through trying to turn this thing off, all to no avail. I've tried deleting my friend's account off of the phone - because she is the one who was using Google Talk - but it tells me that I have to do a factory reset in order to do so. I can't do that as I have apps that I need for work that I've paid money for. I don't want to have to buy them again. I also have important pictures and documents saved to my phone. I've tried opening Google Talk and simply signing out of it, but apparently there is no one signed into it because when I open it, it says, "Signing In," with the loading wheel behind it, but it never does anything. I was told to do this: go to Manage Apps, All, Google Talk, and hit the disable button, but there is no disable button there. In fact, every button under the "Google Talk" app is not pushable. I can't do *anything* with Google Talk. I've been told that it is pretty easy to remove after you root the phone, but I am not interested in doing that. I'm not that savvy with technology and will probably screw something up, probably breaking it, and I don't have the money to buy another one.
So is there a way to turn off the stupid Google Talk authentication failed notifications - which just popped up on my phone AGAIN - without: rooting the phone, returning to factory settings, disabling the app, or signing out of the app?
And on top of everything, the notification is now popping up every 5-10 minutes. Maybe it's because I tried to log in and log back out of Google Talk? I really need this app off or disabled from my phone.
Honestly, I don't know why Google doesn't allow you to simply delete the friggin apps that THEY put on your phone. It's ridiculous. Please, please help!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
About six months ago, I dropped my phone in a mop bucket and it died. One of my friends and coworkers had just got a new phone, so she gave me her old Motorola Droid, which is an Android phone.
Here is my issue: she had Google Talk enabled on her phone. As soon as I logged in to my own account and out of hers, I started getting the "Google Talk Authentication Failed" notification. I went through all sorts of things to try to get it to stop sending me these notifications, but I couldn't figure it out and finally gave up. Now, though, my husband has just started a new job where he travels all over the United States and I need to be able to have him reach me at all times. The stupid notification keeps going off every hour and it's really starting to bug me, making me think I'm getting something from him when I'm not.
I don't know how many websites, threads, and articles I've gone through trying to turn this thing off, all to no avail. I've tried deleting my friend's account off of the phone - because she is the one who was using Google Talk - but it tells me that I have to do a factory reset in order to do so. I can't do that as I have apps that I need for work that I've paid money for. I don't want to have to buy them again. I also have important pictures and documents saved to my phone. I've tried opening Google Talk and simply signing out of it, but apparently there is no one signed into it because when I open it, it says, "Signing In," with the loading wheel behind it, but it never does anything. I was told to do this: go to Manage Apps, All, Google Talk, and hit the disable button, but there is no disable button there. In fact, every button under the "Google Talk" app is not pushable. I can't do *anything* with Google Talk. I've been told that it is pretty easy to remove after you root the phone, but I am not interested in doing that. I'm not that savvy with technology and will probably screw something up, probably breaking it, and I don't have the money to buy another one.
So is there a way to turn off the stupid Google Talk authentication failed notifications - which just popped up on my phone AGAIN - without: rooting the phone, returning to factory settings, disabling the app, or signing out of the app?
And on top of everything, the notification is now popping up every 5-10 minutes. Maybe it's because I tried to log in and log back out of Google Talk? I really need this app off or disabled from my phone.
Honestly, I don't know why Google doesn't allow you to simply delete the friggin apps that THEY put on your phone. It's ridiculous. Please, please help!

Your friend really should have done a factory reset before handing you the phone. You really should have done a factory reset before using the phone... Too late now, I know.

However, it sounds like a factory reset is the only thing to do at this point.

Any apps which you paid for under YOUR Google account will restore without repurchasing them. Google remembers what you bought. Any apps paid for under your friend's Google account will be lost.

Anything you want to save will have to be xfered to your computer and xfered back after the factory reset.

Good Luck.

Mohamad Reza1

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Your friend really should have done a factory reset before handing you the phone. You really should have done a factory reset before using the phone... Too late now, I know.

However, it sounds like a factory reset is the only thing to do at this point.

Any apps which you paid for under YOUR Google account will restore without repurchasing them. Google remembers what you bought. Any apps paid for under your friend's Google account will be lost.

Anything you want to save will have to be xfered to your computer and xfered back after the factory reset.

Good Luck.

Todd Hurley

Jul 1, 2015
Visit site
Forget the factory reset. The magical factory reset isn't going to fix the persons phone., believe me I have tried this process a dozen times with old gmail accounts, new gmail accounts, gmail accounts with various levels of account settings. I have tried clearing cache and data many multiple times and ways; nothing works. It seems to me this happening with older android phones with ginger bread os or something to do with gmail going to google+ . I suggest getting a new phone.

jai shinthi

Jul 18, 2015
Visit site

Graham Schroder

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I had the same problem after resetting my phone to factory settings sometime last year. I was also unable to install any apps from Google Play store and I could not update any of my existing apps. I would always get the same error message. I also tried getting my "Talk" app to sign in but it would always fail as you have already found. The error message also suggested that I check that my account is enabled for "Chat".

I believe "Google Talk" is part of the authentication process for Google Play/Markets when installing apps, updates and when your phone checks for an update to an app. However, over time, the "Talk" app on my phones had been upgraded to "Hangouts". I believe the problem has something to do with the gmail "Chat" feature also being upgraded to "Hangouts".

When my phone and gmail account both used "Hangouts" there was no problem and I could download and install apps and updates at will. However, once I reset my phone to factory defaults, my phones "Hangouts" app reverted back to "Talk" while my gmail account "Hangouts" feature did not change.

Just this week, I used a browser on my computer to login to my gmail account and reverted the gmail "Hangouts" feature back to "Google Chat". Here's how:

You will usually find the Google Hangouts feature down the left side of your gmail page. Just to the right of your "Hangouts" profile picture and name, you will notice a small drop down arrow. Click on this and scroll all the way to the bottom of the menu and click on the "Revert to old chat" link.

PLEASE NOTE: If your gmail account is not the primary one on your phone, then you will need ask the primary account owner to make the above change to their gmail account "Hangouts" feature.

Once I did this, I reset my phone to factory settings and went through my phones setup process. The first App I upgraded was "Talk", upgrading it to "Hangouts". I can now install and upgrade any app at will and I no longer get that annoying error message.

I realize that you may not be prepared to loose all your apps and files by performing a factory reset, so try the following after you revert your gmail back to "Chat":

1. Go to your phones app manager and clear the cache of Google Play and Play Services etc, (as per the other posts concerning this error) and then restart your phone.

2. Open Google Play, (or Market depending on your phone) and search for and install "Hangouts".

If all this was successful, the you'll have fixed your problem, Otherwise you may need to reset you phone to factory settings.

If you later choose to reset your phone, I would recommend that you backup your photos and docs etc to either a micro SD card to your computer prior to resetting your phone.

If you are happy that the problem is fixed, you can re-enable "Hangouts" on your gmail account.

I truly hope this has been useful.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik