Unfortunately com.android.systemui has stopped

A

AC Question

I got this message after installing this app and now, my phone is unusable.

I've got a Moto G 16GB XT1033, stock 4.4.2, unrooted, locked boot loader. I installed this game (https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../store/apps/d...d=com.glu.dino&token=_bRqSUK9) and went away for a bit while it was being downloaded. When I came back, AcDisplay had the notification that the game was installed. So I dismiss the notification and enter the pass code to unlock the device. That's when the trouble started. I got the message that the com.android.systemui process had stopped. Everything would disappear for a bit and then its back to the lock screen. I tried rebooting and a dialogue that 'Android was upgrading' and 'Optimising app 1 of 1' would show for a while and then it would reboot itself. This time, the boot animation would be all wonky but it would get to the lock screen but if I enter the pass code, the systemui message appears. I tried safe mode but no dice.

How do I go about solving my problem? I just think its ridiculous that installing an app from the Play Store can cause my phone to be unusable.

Chrono222

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Could you tell me how I could go about doing that? Whenever I enter the pass code, I get the error message, the whole thing crashes and then sends me back to the lockscreen. I used Okay Google to open up the settings app but cant select anything.

Is there anyway I could back up my files (especially pictures and videos)? I fear a factory reset is the only solution.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Could you tell me how I could go about doing that? Whenever I enter the pass code, I get the error message, the whole thing crashes and then sends me back to the lockscreen...

Turn on the phone but do not enter the pass code. Press and hold power button until box pops up; press and hold "Power off" until "Reboot into safe mode" pops up. After phone restarts, you should be able to uninstall the offending app.

Reboot phone one more time and you should be all set.

Chrono222

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Turn on the phone but do not enter the pass code. Press and hold power button until box pops up; press and hold "Power off" until "Reboot into safe mode" pops up. After phone restarts, you should be able to uninstall the offending app.

Reboot phone one more time and you should be all set.

Nah buddy, I already tried safe mode (and I mentioned that in the first post). Same thing happens. As soon as I enter the pass code, CRASH!

I've been using Okay Google to open up apps (thanks to Okay Google anywhere on the lockscren). They open up but I've got to enter the pass code and it crashes. I can use the app for a millisecond and then it locks again. I'm trying to turn on Google Photos auto backup, but so far not successful.

Julian Makalanda

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I installed "home Launcher" on my GT-N7105 (Note 2) and I got the error under discussion. Uninstalling the app straightaway sorted the issue out..

Adding on to the above: I think any application affecting/modifying the android launcher can cause this issue. You can use an app like "EASY Uninstaller" to uninstall apps ("Drippler" recommended EASY, though u hv some adds in it, i think its a simple but powerful app). hope this helps

Last edited:

Koepit

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem, "Unfortunately, com.android.systemui has stopped" appears all the time. I have reset to the factory setting but it doesn't help. it's TCL Idol X s950 rooted phone. anybody can help ??

tmcguiness

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
Little late on this thread, but with this problem on my LG 8.3 VK810. I was unable to identify an offending app but was able to rid the error message, which, for me, seemed to occur with any network or wifi maneuvers, simply by going into reboot mode and emptying my cache, than rebooting. Worked once, than had to do it again about a month later, succesfully, and hasn't returned in months. Might be worth a try if anyone else gets this same err message. I also think it might be related to turning off certain system apps that seem redundant but may not be so unconnected to the entire operation as one may have assumed.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried booting into recovery and clearing the dalvik cache? That "Android is Upgrading" window gets triggered when the phone attempts to build the cache (which is a little different than the 'app cache' that you can see in the App Settings windows)

Jason Petoscia

May 28, 2015
Visit site
I've had the same issue tab 10, new updates with chromecast. Factory restored and it came back as soon as I accepted the terms of agreement to Svoice. So I disabled and hide app never came back up. Hope that's the fix. Enjoy

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
Galaxy S3

All was well this past Saturday, but Sunday morning, mine started doing the same thing, so has my mother's S3. If I press and hold the home button to open my recents page in portrait view, it closes and displays the message. If I open it in landscape, it works fine, but if I rotate the device back to portrait, it shuts down and display this message. To top it off, I use Norton App Lock, and if I open my recents in landscape and App Lock makes an appearance, it opens in portrait. After I unlock it, it briefly shows the app in portrait, then quickly switches back to landscape. If I rotate my device to portrait, it shuts down and displays this message.

I dunno...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress