sprint s4 not tethering via usb?

M

mayo

I have googled for days now and came up with nothing except videos on how it works. But it doesn't! My comp doesn't register my phone is tethered. What am I doing wrong? No my phone is not rooted, and if possible I'd prefer to keep it that way...

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
You should be able to go into the options on the phone and set it to tether via USB. Make sure it's activated to do it... and the PC should then see it.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

mayo2011

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to go into the options on the phone and set it to tether via USB. Make sure it's activated to do it... and the PC should then see it.

*sigh*
That doesn't work! As I have already stated!
I can transfer files to and from my phone but cannot share internet. I have homework to do online and farting around with this stupid phone isn't getting it done!

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Everyone tries to help and cover the bases first.
When you connect to a pc to transfer files you should get a usb connection notification on the panel, and a pull down option to change from MTP to PTP. Media/Photo transfer.
I haven't tried this usb connection yet (recently got a tethering plan) but I would think the pc needs to see the phone as a usb network device, so something has to be set in the phone first. It must depend on the sequence of settings then connection, but something to play with. I have a Lenovo W7 pc with good network troubleshooting software.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
*sigh*
That doesn't work! As I have already stated!
I can transfer files to and from my phone but cannot share internet. I have homework to do online and farting around with this stupid phone isn't getting it done!

I understand that you can connect and see it to transfer files.. This is normal behavior.. But you have to enable tethering on the phone itself and tell it to share it via USB otherwise it won't work. Such as below you can see if I was plugged in via USB I could check that and my phone wouldn't see my phone as something like a drive for files.. It would set it up as a modem connection.

If you're doing that and it won't work.. Is the tethering activating? Such as mine shows an icon at the top left when tethering is on so I know it is... If it isn't.. Do you have tethering on your Sprint plan?

mayo2011

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
I understand that you can connect and see it to transfer files.. This is normal behavior.. But you have to enable tethering on the phone itself and tell it to share it via USB otherwise it won't work. Such as below you can see if I was plugged in via USB I could check that and my phone wouldn't see my phone as something like a drive for files.. It would set it up as a modem connection.

If you're doing that and it won't work.. Is the tethering activating? Such as mine shows an icon at the top left when tethering is on so I know it is... If it isn't.. Do you have tethering on your Sprint plan?

God effing dang it. When I first purchased the phone, I specifically told the rep that I needed the phone for sharing internet with my comp. I just looked at my plan and he DIDN'T sign me up for any kind of tethering. I thought it odd that I only paid $30 plus tax. I'm sorry for snapping!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95