sending back different device for warranty?

centralbro

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
i got a nexus 5 off google but so did my friend, his arrived first and i needed it so he gave me his and he took mine when it arrived, but there is a problem with the screen now on mine and i will be sending it back to google, will it be okay for me to send it back under my name even though it is the device bought by him? or will they even know the difference? (eg keeping track of hardware number ect.) they are both same colour, gb ect.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Did he ever register his device, the one you took?I would assume if not registered it would be ok. Otherwise, it might or might not slide through, but it might also create a problem.

It is possible that Google pre-registers (or automatically registers) on purchase, but I don't know. I presume people could buy Nexus to give as gifts and pre-registraiton would make registration impossible by the new gift recipient--so I'm guessing there is no pre-registration that would gum up the works.

centralbro

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
no he gave it to me sealed no preregister, im just worried that the serial number of phone may not match with my order (since he gave me the phone ordered from his account) or do they even do that?

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
no he gave it to me sealed no preregister, im just worried that the serial number of phone may not match with my order (since he gave me the phone ordered from his account) or do they even do that?

Register yours for warranty. I doubt anyone will ask. If anyone asks, explain it. Surely, it can't be all that unusual to have things like gifts, etc.

centralbro

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
yeah thats true, so even if i sent one back for repair that i got as a gift they would still repair it for me? even if i didnt but that phone off google myself (even though i did buy the same phone off them, iut just has a different model/serial no.)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I think the best thing you can do is explain everything to them. That way, there will be no reason for them to think that you are trying to deceive them in any way, which obviously they would not like.

Posted via Android Central App

centralbro

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
what about if it was the exact same phone with the same specs? i bought the exact same phone with the same specs on my account too,its just that it has a different serial number to the phone they sent me, so do you guys think they would still repair it for me?

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
what about if it was the exact same phone with the same specs? i bought the exact same phone with the same specs on my account too,its just that it has a different serial number to the phone they sent me, so do you guys think they would still repair it for me?

As I said earlier, they can't possibly have a methodology where no one can ever give a gift. I guess companies have shot themselves in the foot before, but...
Ultimately, there's only one way to find out. Go through the process and if there are questions, answer them. I predict it won't be a problem--other than, perhaps, some bureaucratic hassle--if you're persistent. If necessary, offer them affidavits from both of you. Then, they'll know there is no possible theft issue, too. I predict they won't require one, but let us know how it works out.

NB Of course, push comes to shove, have your friend send it back for you.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't know the answer but I think you are stuck between a rock and a hard place and you got to try it one way or the other way.
Ultimately one of you has a fault on one phone which is entitled to be repaired under warranty.
Not sure if anyone knows for sure if either the phone sent to you is logged with Google as your phone, I think it is, as a poster said.
However why, when you put your Google account on the other phone, and he on 'yours', did it not flag on Google that it was the wrong imei etc.
Obviously Google's system does not read the phone at the account input stage. Does that help you, I don't know. I have run out of logic for today.

ADDED: Sorry, I missed the previous post by @monsieurms, but we are along the same lines.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sam_274