How do I close Word data files?

pcaker

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Word data files closing problems

When I open a .docx or .xls file in Hancom or other office app, I cannot see how to CLOSE the file after viewing or editing. Menus offer SAVE etc, but not CLOSE. After saving, the file invariably remains open in that app. Therefore, it cannot be exported, or imported into another app, because as I understand it, a data file cannot be open in 2 different apps at the same time - for very obvious reasons. If SAVE meant "save & close", then the file would disappear from the display, which it does not, it remains available for further editing. At present, I would apparently need to force close the app or reboot smartphone to get this type of data file to close - obviously ridiculous.
I cannot see how Android can get around this fundamental data file handling requirement. Multiple apps can remain open simultaneously, but not multiple versions of the same data file. What am I missing?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Word data files closing problems

You can't edit 2 versions of the same file in any computer under any circumstances unless you use record locking - you can change this record in the database while I'm changing another record. You can't do it with files that don't have fixed record lengths - like documents. (If someone figures out how to do it, logic courses all over the world will have to be changed, because the law of identity will have been broken.)

Android isn't meant as a full-power document editor. (BTW, Office Suite 8 closes the document after saving it.)

pcaker

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your response. What I learned was that in OfficeSuite 8, SAVE does mean SAVE & CLOSE, so I assume that the still displayed text becomes just a ghost copy, so that when you resume editing it must delete the copy, replacing it with the actual re-opened file. I hope that I have got this right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa