How do I get rid of Lollipop on my Nexus 7 (2013) and go back to KitKat 4.4?

BlackOrbit87

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Please help me get rid of lollipop on my nexus 7 (2013) and go back to kitkat 4.4

I absolutely hate lollipop and the changes they made with it. I totally HATE the user interface and some of my apps no longer work right. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) tablet.

I want to go back to kitkat 4.4. Is there a way to go back to kitkat? Can someone give me precise instructions on how to go back to kitkat, as I am not very knowledgeable in these areas. I tried doing a factory reboot twice, but it still came back with that crappy lollipop installed. Thank you.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Re: Please help me get rid of lollipop on my nexus 7 (2013) and go back to kitkat 4.4

You need to flash the KitKat factory image.

https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images#razorktu84p

Once downloaded, you need to install Fastboot on your computer. This is probably the easiest way:

[TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers -… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums

You'll need to add Fastboot to your system's path. You can skip to the part about that here:

How To Set Up Android ADB & Fastboot On Windows [Tutorial] | Redmond Pie

Then, extract the factory image you downloaded. You will need to unlock your bootloader. Boot your device into the bootloader by holding power and volume down when the device is off. Plug your tablet into your computer and run "fastboot oem unlock" at a command line. This will wipe all your data. Then run the "flash-all.bat" file that is inside the factory image.

BlackOrbit87

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Please help me get rid of lollipop on my nexus 7 (2013) and go back to kitkat 4.4

Thanks for the info Raptir. I have a vague idea what you mean. I'm not sure what all the individual steps would be for each action. I have seen the broad strokes of how to do this on the internet via google searches, but am afraid to try it in case I miss some vital step and then really screw up my tablet. I don't have the technical know how to fill in the blanks.

Michael Lynady

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site

Then why did you ask for precise instructions and waste someone's time?

Posted via the Android Central App

TNG213

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
You could try installing the Nexus Root Toolkit at wugfresh dot com. I believe it automates functions like flashing stock/custom ROMs, backup/restore, etc.

Last edited: