WiFi problem

Ryan Stewart4

Jun 8, 2014
Visit site
Whenever I try to go onto the Facebook app for Android, when connected to WiFi it will not refresh or do anything, but when I use my mobile data, Facebook works fine. This is confusing me because every other app and site works just fine when I'm connected to WiFi, even Facebook messenger.

Device: moto x 2013

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Does this happen on any wi-fi network? If it only happens on one network, see if you can log into the router settings and check to make sure the firewall doesn't include Facebook for some reason.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
There's an anomaly between some of the newer routers and Android phones. The speed is generally a bit on the slow side (not much, maybe 10%), but the Facebook app just dies (even though going to the Facebook website works fine).

I solved it by buying a $35 Netgear N300 Router, knowing I could return it if it didn't solve the problem. (Linksys and D-Link have the problem, so I figured I'd get as far from them as possible, and still stay with quality.) It works out of the box. I just set the SSID and password the same as the Linksys that didn't work (and was pretty new), turned it on and waited for the phone to connect to what it thought was the old router. All the other devices in the house were connected by the time I looked at them.

(BTW, if you set up a guest account on your router and connect to that, the Facebook app will probably work, but who wants to use an unsecured wifi connection?)

I haven't figured out what's causing the problem, and I probably won't waste the effort to figure it out. And Linksys doesn't seem to care.