My s5 won't recognize my 64gb SD card & my battery is draining super fast..related?

A

AC Question

Okay, so I have seen similar questions posted about similar topics BUT I haven't seen anything hinting that these two things could be related. Which they may just be coincidental, I'm not sure...

I upgraded to a 64gb SD card, roughly two weeks ago, and I had several problems trying to transfer all of my music and pictures and whatnot over to it from my 32gb SD card...ended up losing a lot of them because of having to re-format the card (thankfully I have a memory card recovery program on my computer already, so losing things is not a concern at this point) HOWEVER, my phone fully recognized the 64gb card immediately, once I properly formatted it and whatnot, but only for like a day, then I started getting error notifications that the card was not properly inserted, or the phone was not reading it, etc...the card has been inserted into my phone for about 10 days at this point... a friend of mine also has the same phone as I do (s5) and it reads just fine, as does her card in my phone, so clearly it doesn't seem to be an issue with the card itself, or the card reader slot..since other cards are registering..?

Then there's also the issue of my battery randomly draining unusually fast the last few days...and this has only been happening over the last three days...I did go to Sprint two days ago and they "primed the battery" but it did not help at all (battery life went down from 87% to completely dead in less than 5 hours last evening)

So, as I said before, I'm not sure if, how, or why these two things could be related to one another, I'm thinking they may just be coincidental..has anyone else had a problem similar to EITHER of these? How can I fix the SD card issue? Sprint said they would replace the phone - I just don't want to run into the same problem with the new one if the issue is somehow caused by the SD card.

Thanks!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC :)
Don't think these two are in any way related. When you formatted the card, did you do it on your computer or from within the phone?

Posting screenshots of your battery stats would help us with seeing what's wrong in that situation.

Gizmo_2301

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I have formatted it both in the phone and in my computer..the most recent time was in the phone (after reading a forum recommending to do it that way if the phone was not recognizing it)

I also got the new phone today from Sprint and plugged the card into the phone and it is not reading it at all now either, which doesn't make much sense to me because as I had said before, I had plugged it into a friends phone and it worked just fine. *sigh* I suppose I will just start over from scratch with the whole thing at this point, since I have to run a recovery program on the card anyhow.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the late reply. Any luck with the card?
I highly doubt that you would have gotten two defective phones in a row, so I'm still thinking it's the card. What program did you run to recover it?