Does Samsung stock recovery factory reset format the internal drive?

A

AC Question

does samsung stock recovery factory reset format the internal drive?

I know when doing a factory reset on custom recovery, your internal memory (i.e. photos) remain untouched. is this also true for factory reset on stock recovery?

I need 100% confirmation please.

thanks!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: does samsung stock recovery factory reset format the internal drive?

Nope, and I'm not sure because I don't use a custom recovery, but I don't think that the 'Wipe Data' option 'spares' any files in your device. I've been notified that some custom ROMs do allow you to wipe the system without wiping data, but that's usually not recommended. But good to know!

In any case, at least to answer your question, nope, a factory reset on stock recovery WILL wipe out your entire data. All of it. Gone (OK, not gone, you can still use forensic data analysis and tools to recover it, but you get the idea). It even warns you about it before you hit OK.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: does samsung stock recovery factory reset format the internal drive?

Factory reset removes all the data you put on the phone, including your pictures, your accounts, any apps you installed, etc. Unless you deleted or added some system files, what you get is an out-of-the-box phone.

Some custom recoveries may not wipe the data partition, but then why have the function at all, since the purpose of a factory reset is to wipe the data partition?

(TWRP, for example, allows you to choose Dalvik cache, the SD card, the data partition, the system cache partition or the system partition to wipe [any or all, they're check boxes], so you can wipe anything but leave the data intact. But that's not "factory reset", which wipes Data, Cache and Dalvik cache.)

Oh, and wiping is deleting, not formatting - there's a big difference.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty