Why are my apps turning notices on by themselves?

A

AC Question

Apps turning notices on by themselves

I have a Verizon Galaxy S5, running on Lollipop 5.0. Why do half of the apps that I block notices for (or turn off) turn back on after I restart my phone?

In Kikat I went through manually turned off notices only to find they've turned back on after powering down my phone. In Lollipop the exact same thing happens.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Apps turning notices on by themselves

Welcome to Android Central! Where are you turning off the notifications? Do you open an app, then tap Menu to get to the app's specific settings, and turn off notifications there? Or are you going to the App Manager, selecting the app, and unchecking the "Show notifications" box?

GoldenMolden

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

Before I got Lollipop I would go to Settings>Applications>Application Manager then find the app and check the "Show notifications" box. This would work until I had to power down the phone. In Lollipop I go to Settings>Sound and notification>Application notifications then press the "Block" option in each app. Again, power down and about half of them change back to not being "blocked".

I had one app in particular that always blows up my phone with notifications. It's a sports app and I like it, but I don't want 100 notifications a day. But it gets really frustrating having to redo the whole "blocking" thing any time I have to restart my phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

What happens when you open the actual apps and turn off the notifications from within the app settings (i.e., not in the System Settings menu)?

GoldenMolden

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

The apps that I have issues with don't have any notification options within the apps themselves. Fansided is one of the apps that keeps doing this but doesn't have an option to control notifications within the app.

I don't understand why it can't be as simple as turning notifications off or on within the phone's "application notification" menu. My old iPhone had this option and it was full proof. If you tell me I have to turn off notifications for each app in the "application notification" menu, then have to open up each app and search for another option to turn it off, then that's ridiculous. Not to mention possibly having to do a 3rd step and go into "application manager", open each app and check the "notifications" box?

In many ways I like my Galaxy S5 better than my old iPhone 4S, but when it comes to notifications Android isn't even in the same league.