When to Dirty Flash ROMs?

silverwolf12

Mar 8, 2015
Visit site
So I'm running resurrection remix on my nexus 5 right now, and I wanted to try some other ROM's on my phone. RR is CM12 based, and I've read that CM12 is based off AOSP, so if i were to flash another AOSP based ROM like LiquidSmooth, would I have to wipe all data and caches or could i get away with a dirty flash by wiping only the caches?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If it's a different ROM, wipe cache, Dalvik and system. (Data too, if you have everything backed up and want to be sure, although I've left my data partition alone when flashing loads of ROMs with no problems.) Dirty flash when it's an update to the current ROM and the developer says to dirty flash, or when you're flashing a keyboard or something from Chainfire, like autoroot.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. Whenever the same ROM does a weekly/nightly update, I just go with it. Dirty flash. If the Nightly goes up an increment, like from 4.3.1 to 4.3.2, I will at least clear the cache and Dalvik. If it goes from 4.3 to 4.4, that is when I will do a clean install.