Popups Interfere Even When I am not Online

NookUser1969

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I just got a Samsung Galaxy 4 Nook last month and in the last few days I have been experiencing extremely annoying full-page popups ads. It happens even when I am just reading an e-book or using my Office app and not even online.

Immediately upon waking up my tablet, the device takes me to the pre-installed "Internet" app, not Chrome, and I see ads. Every five minutes this happens and I am at my wit's end.

Is this an app problem? Most of the ads I get are from Google Play, which really frustrates me.

EDIT: Tried uninstalling a bunch of recent apps, but that has not helped. I restarted the tablet and it did not help. I woke up the app again and got a full-screen ad for sex dates with women. I am a woman. I took a picture of the ad. My husband thinks I have a virus after only one month. This has never happened on any of my other tablets!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I doubt its a true virus--it's more likely to be adware that was installed alongside some other app (usually a game) you installed. But it can be just as annoying as a virus.

Try an app like Lookout's Ad-Network Scanner & Detector. If that doesn't find anything, then you can either continue uninstalling apps, or just do a factory reset (after making sure your important data is synced or backed up). If you do reset, then after you're done with the Setup Wizard, go immediately to Google Play Store and stop any app that might be automatically installing. Now start reinstalling your apps one by one, and be careful with games or "RAM cleaner" apps--those tend to be more associated with annoying adware. If in doubt, check reviews on Google Play to see if anyone else complains of ads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa