Samsung Galaxy S6 cell standby battery drain. Verizon

A

AC Question

I just got the galaxy s6, I noticed my battery is only getting me 1/4-1/2 way through the day. After keeping an eye on the battery settings, i noticed cell standby was using the most power up to 50% as of this morning. I have turned of advanced calling(Volte)as well as video calling, in wifi i have turned off scanning, and I am in the process of Calibrating the battery(charged to 100% drained to 10% and am charging it back to 100 as I am writing this). I know this is an issue with other carries such as t-mobile and At&t but i havent read anything about others on verizon having the same issue. Is there something else that can be done if calibrating doesnt work?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't sound like the battery calibration (you're conditioning the battery, not calibrating anything), but more like a weak cell signal. Cell standby shouldn't be one of the main battery consumers. If the signal is weak the phone turns up its transmitter power (if it''s weak from the tower to the phone, it's going to be weak from the phone to the tower) and that uses a lot of battery.

Christopher Burress

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm also having issues with cell standby using too much battery. I've had 5 bars of 4g all day and I am intentionally trying to kill the battery with brightness all the way up and watching a movie on my phone and screen usage is still only 10% while cell standby is up close to 30%. A fix would be nice..

MikeOo2

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem as well on Verizon with the S6. I was getting to the point where I was questioning taking back the phone. This morning I did a Factory Reset without restoring any apps or data (a clean setup). I did not install any apps at first and after running for a few hours, cell standby has not been a problem when before it was taking up 30-45%. Now it is staying steady with the Android System at around 8-10%. I have since added my email sync and it is still functioning fine. It is worth a shot to do a clean Factory Reset if you are out of ideas, it worked for me.

briansbang

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm having multiple issues with my S6 including this:
1. Battery drain resulting from cell standby when I'm connected to WiFi at home - Cell Standby is at the top of the list in the morning after many hours of being awake under WiFi at home and it will disappear from the list at work since I'm on the cell data during the day
2. Constant WiFi drop-outs when connected to WiFi especially on 5ghz band - I read articles in XDA forums saying that others experienced the same issue when connected to WiFi especially on 5ghz band. I use Apple Airport Express dual band router at home which automatically switches from 2.4ghz to 5ghz. It seems that my S6 drops out of WiFi when I'm switched to 5ghz and reconnects when I'm on 2.4ghz
3. Phone unbearably getting hot near the rear camera when running some apps for a short period of time
4. Earbud only working on the right side - Do I call VZW or take it to a retail store?

I have a co-worker using an at&t version experiencing exact same issues as my VZW S6.
I'm also considering to return this if these issues are not sorted out before my 14-day return period.

elter

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem as well on Verizon with the S6. I was getting to the point where I was questioning taking back the phone. This morning I did a Factory Reset without restoring any apps or data (a clean setup). I did not install any apps at first and after running for a few hours, cell standby has not been a problem when before it was taking up 30-45%. Now it is staying steady with the Android System at around 8-10%. I have since added my email sync and it is still functioning fine. It is worth a shot to do a clean Factory Reset if you are out of ideas, it worked for me.

Just curious, have you turned your WiFi back on? I did exactly the same on my edge phone today and the problem was still there after I re-enabled wifi

Zachmiller529

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Get the Galaxy s6 edge... the regular Galaxy is broken and the batterys all suck on them. Some internal bug that may or not be fixed. My old galaxy got 8 hours of light use, now my edge is estimated to last me a day and 3 hours! i only charge my phone every other day now and if you bring it into the store within 14 days of getting it you get a new one and pay $100 more for the edge (verizon tries to hide this so don't be surprised if they don't bring this up when you call them up complaining about it)

Zachmiller529

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
everyones having this problem. Get the Galaxy s6 edge... the regular Galaxy is broken and the batterys all suck on them. Some internal bug that may or not be fixed. My old galaxy got 8 hours of light use, now my edge is estimated to last me a day and 3 hours! i only charge my phone every other day now and if you bring it into the store within 14 days of getting it you get a new one and pay $100 more for the edge (verizon tries to hide this so don't be surprised if they don't bring this up when you call them up complaining about it)

Bee Funny

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
This whole problem is a bug in Android 5.0 and will be fixed soon. Instead of doing a clean reset, you should power off the phone. Once it is powered off, hold the home button, the power button, and the volume up button at the same time. If the screen comes up teal with an android logo then just hold the power button until it changes to a blue, red, and black menu. Use the volume buttons to navigate down to "wipe cache partition" and click the power button. After that finishes, go up to reboot now and press the power button. Once your phone is back on, your problem should be fixed but make sure Advanced Calling is ON. Don't Forget to subscribe to my YouTube Channel: Bee Funny

jerab

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I have found that cell standby drain on music S6 edge was caused by the wifi constantly handshaking with my access point router. I changed the setting in wifi on my phone, to turn off the wifi when asleep.. my cell stand by drain was 30%+ now it is only 2%.

Bendchap1

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello all,

I signed up just so I could post how I was able to fix the cell standby battery drain problem since it was frustrating me so much.

1. Activated advanced calling
2. Turned off WiFi "allow constant scan" in WiFi settings.
3. Cleared cache and restarted

I am now showing life of over a day with no cell standby battery usage. WiFi is still on and I have been using the phone since 8 am. I have 82 percent battery remaining with an estimated 1 day and 7 hour life.

Jeff S Edge

Jun 5, 2015
Visit site
I can confirm the method of 1. Turn on advanced calling, 2. Turn off WiFi scanning, 3. Wipe cache via startup mode, has solved the problem for me on my new Verizon S6 Edge I got a few days ago.

Cell standby is now at the bottom of my battery list instead of the top

KA Smith1

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
Hi Bee Funny. Could you please tell me if by doing this that it will not erase all my contacts/pics etc? I;m so nervous to try something when I have heard some things can wipe out my things but my battery is ridiculous! Thank you!

Dovahqveen

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Okay. I'm using an AT&T S6 edge. None of these steps have worked for me, let alone I can't even find these options like "advanced calling", "VoLTE" etc in my settings anywhere, even when searched. My cell standby AND my android system are BOTH taking over 60% of battery life, while my screen is in 3rd taking only 20%. My fast charger has shorted out most likely because of this really sudden change and it's to the point where plugging in the charger won't even turn on "cable charging". I'm totally and entirely frustrated and I don't know what to do. I can physically watch my battery power number draining. Someone please help.