Why is Facebook messenger detecting a screen overlay ? (marshmallow)

F

Foofoo

I tried to send a pic in messenger, says I need to grant it permission to access my gallery. I go ahead to do so, but says there's an overlay detected. I searched on how to turn them off, and come to find they were never on in the first place. Uninstalled messenger, reinstalled it. Now it has zero permissions, and can't do anything because I can't switch anything without it saying it detects overlays. They're not on.. So wtf.

Don't know how to upload screen shots here though :-(

spathers

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with Chrome. I can't change any permissions because it says it has detected a screen overlay. When I look in the screen overlay settings, there is nothing there....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You probably have some app that is conflicting. Try to uninstall some apps that you might think conflicts. If you don't know, do s factory data reset and don't install any apps except Facebook and Facebook messenger,then try it

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Foobaca

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Did a hard reset, with only the two fb apps, with no success. Went back to Lollipop for the time being. Such a shame because everything was running smooth on Marshmallow. I'll wait for the updates before I pull the trigger. Much thanks dudes

jrcurl

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
It's another app interfering with your ability to turn on/off permissions. To fix go to settings--> apps--> advanced settings (gear icon top right)--> draw over other apps--> from here you should see a list of apps with a yes/no option. Go through the list switching "yes" to "no", while testing Facebook messenger. (Be sure to turn the " no" back to "yes" on apps that had no affect on Facebook) Eventually you'll find the app causing the problem. It may interfere with the app you turned to " no" unfortunately. Hopefully they fix this bug quickly.

T Ford

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
The only way i could fix the screen overlay message was open the aps screen, select settings, click on apps, upper right corner select configure apps, select app permissions. You'll probably notice that somehow all your app permissions were unchecked, this is the ONLY way to give them permission and it stick for the HTC 10. You shouldn't get a message about needing to allow access or anything about screen overlays now.

Potsy21

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Mine was a game called 'shadow quiz game' just uninstalled it and all is good now. Try to think back about recent apps installed and delete if not necessarily required. Also Smart Manager in settings detected an issue with the app game so maybe look there first. Running Marshmallow on S7 by the way.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12