Android Samsung Note 4 Sold and factory Default

A

AC Question

In order to sell my Samsung Note 4 I had to factory reset it to erase the information. I sold it on ebay and now the buyer is telling me he needs my email and password to unlock the phone. Is there some type of lock that uses that? Am I missing something? I thought there was only the fingerprint, number and or swipe locks for the screen. The only thing I can think of that you have to sign into would be the Samsung cloud backup app. Is that true?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! If there's an unauthorized factory reset, it may ask for the original Google account that was used before, so this may be legit. Although I'm not sure what constitutes an authorized factory reset. Let me ask around.

Did you do the factory reset from the Settings>Backup & Reset menu, or from the Recovery Menu?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am told by one of my Samsung-knowledgeable colleagues (Kelly Kearns) that you have to remove your Google account prior to the factory reset. If the Google account isn't removed, then the phone will ask for the Google credentials when you try to set the phone up again. It's an antitheft measure.

The easiest thing to do may be to ask the buyer to send the phone back (on your dime), then log back into the phone, set it up again, remove your Google account, then factory reset again.