RAM running really high??

MissDeeDot

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6 edge. And recently had all my documents, downloads, music, pictures and videos wiped off my phone. What do you know, my back up app somehow was wiped clean too. Anyways, not the concern anymore.
I have the 64gig. Now I have lost a lot of files. 900 songs, 300 pics, a lot of documents etc. Now my space looks to be about 30% used with all the apps I have. But my RAM is running at 80% full. How in the heck does that work?? I have tried to optimize, removed apps, cleans history and cookies, cleaned cache. I've even force stopped apps and stopped apps from running in the background. But nothing has moved it down. Anyone know what I need to do??

Posted via the Android Central App

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Well, since you already lost all your data, have you considered a factory reset? Of course, you'd have to reinstall all you apps. Then again, it could be a rouge app causing your memory problems. There are several apps like Memory Usage on Playstore that can list what app is using your ram. You could also start your phone in Safe Mode (which would disable all installed apps) to see if the memory issue disappears. Normally, memory usage doesn't get reset until a system restart so don't expect too much of a change by just stopping apps.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
RAM is where apps are when they're running - and Android, unlike Windows, likes RAM to be as full as possible. 80% is normal. That's not storage, where your apps and data are stored. Why you lost your apps and data is another matter entirely, and has nothing to do with RAM. (If you do a factory reset, you'll lose all your downloaded apps and all your data.)

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Don't worry about it. Rukbat is correct. Android handles RAM differently than Windows. It's normal, desirable behavior for RAM to run around 75-85% full.

Don't use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. It is actually counterproductive, wastes power, disrupts system processes and degrades performance. In short, don't try to micromanage your phone. Don't install software that attempts to either. All the cache cleaning, optimizing, force stopping - you should not be doing any of that. It actually makes Android run worse.

For example, cache files are there to increase performance by reducing the need to find and reload files, such as webpages. So what good is an empty cache? And cache files rebuild so clearing them only wastes power and resources to rebuild. Leave them alone to do their job as intended. I usually do nothing to cache files for the life of a device.

Let Android handle things as intended. It's perfectly capable of taking care of business efficiently and automatically. It will automatically optimize operation if you let it. See this:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=4655557

For more information on how Android handles multitasking, processes, RAM, etc automatically automatically for you read this post by one of the authors of Android:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html?m=1

This is a long thread but has a lot of good information:

http://androidforums.com/index.php?posts/6857986

OK, rant over...

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

Last edited:

MissDeeDot

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
Awesome, thank you for the very I have factory reset my phone and everything is a lot lower now. Seems a bit more reasonable for the amount of nothing I have on my phone right now haha.

Thanks again! Very helpful, and will have to remind myself not to download any of those optimizing/battery saver apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci