Galaxy S4 getting hot with charger plugged in and battery removed.

A

AC Question

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I don't have the Google-fu to filter out results telling users to remove the battery from results saying the battery has already been removed. Sorry.

Anyway, I plugged my phone in to charge it, and it started getting very hot. No lightning bolt indicating that the phone was charging. Tried different charger, same result. Tried turning it off and taking out the battery and replacing it, same result. I figured it was the battery and since I was already at 10% battery life, I ordered another battery off Amazon before my phone died.

Then I noticed that it wasn't really the battery getting hot, it was the lower left side (my left when the phone was facing me) that was getting hot. I took the battery out and plugged in the charger, and that area started getting very hot again, even though the battery had been removed.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Probably the phone charging port circuitry has gone bad. The charging port is easily replaceable and you could probably do it yourself if you had the part. However, if it's something else causing the problem, you'd have wasted money on the charging port. Your best bet is to take it into a repair shop to have someone check it out. It might cost a little more, but at least they'll nail the problem without wasting money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snCH8H3NCMA