Is it ok to (try to) delete stock apps from phone if you're not using them?

Bitgod1

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
Hi, Android noob here. So I've been farting around with some new low end androids, and I've come to find I really like bluemail as my mail app. The phone already came with 2 email apps, a generic one and Gmail. Is it OK to just delete (or try to, I know it won't let me delete some of the bundled apps on the phone) apps that I don't want to use?

I ask just because when I thought I'd delete one of the Google apps at one point, there was some prompt about "are you sure you want to do this because it may cause instability with other things" or something to that effect, so I wasn't sure if it was OK to delete the Google related things or not. I just don't like to get nagged by the Gmail app about new mail when bluemail already notifies me. Thanks.

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Yup. Some apps you can't delete (bloatware, preloaded on device) , so you can disable them. If you do a few at a time, you can undo it easier of you strike trouble.
The only thing you need to be careful is that the Google stuff will influence how the device functions.
You can also block notifications from apps you don't want to hear from. That's the beauty of Android, the freedom to twiddle to your hearts content!

Bitgod1

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
OK, thanks. I have to say though that I find the notification settings in iOS way easier. Just go into settings>notifications, and if I want an app to show me a msg but not make a sound, I can just turn off sounds for that app. I'm not finding that kind of options in Marshmellow, only turn notifications on or off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer