How do we get rid of the annoying space hogging colour chip/icon in contact list

A

AC Question

Before I go on, yes this annoyance has been mention a few thousand times before. but still there does not seem to be a solution!

Have just 'upgraded' from an android 4.2.2 phablet to an android 7.0 phone (with a 5" screen).

the new messenger has icon/colour chip/avatar/photo (I have listed as many names for this annoyance as I can find) for each contact in contact list.

I dunno whose idea this was but lets find them, take them a nearby car park, and explain clearly how frustrating this design feature/failure is.

As a semi-retired University teacher of UI... any student coming to me with this proposal as being useful would be sent off to rethink their work. Android is, by definition, for small devices with limited screen real estate. ANYTHING that takes space without providing a benefit is a design failure. Duh.

I am also aware that this has been propagated for several iterations of the UI. Just because a mistake has been repeated does not mean that it was not an error at the outset. Given the amount of complaint seen on forums suggests that this is a known, identified, problem.

At the very least there should be a way of removing or disabling this (I think there was in earliest versions). But not in current versions.

Hmmmm I wonder how I can turn this handset into a windows mobile phone?