Why does WhatsApp location open in Uber or CityMapper?

A

AC Question

Hi All,
I have a recurring problem with WhatsApp. I have a Samsung Galaxy S6 and a while back when people sent me locations through WhatsApp, it stopped opening in Google Maps and opened in CityMapper. I got so sick of this I just deleted CityMapper and the problem was solved.

However now it's back but this time I click the location and it opens Uber and asks me where I want to go... It's incredibly annoying, I have to get people to send me written out addresses. How do I ensure that WhatsApp opens location in Google Maps?
Thanks very much

Claudiadom

May 29, 2017
Visit site
I have the same problem. I already disabled uber as default in settings but i cannot set maps as default. It still opens locations from whatsapp in uber. Also i have denied permissions for uber.
Thanks in advance.

FP63

Jun 12, 2017
Visit site
Hi. Go to "Settings", "Apps", "Maps", "Open By Default", "Open Supported Links", and select "Open In This App". Back out and go to "Settings", "Apps", "Uber", "Open By Default", "Open Supported Links", and select "Don't Open In This App". Repeat this for any app that takes over Maps. I hope & say a prayer it works for you. It did for me.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
This worked for me, thanks!

FP63 identified the key, substantially hidden setting. Details were slightly different on my GS6e running Nougat. In case it helps someone else, what I did:

Settings:Apps: Application Manager: Uber:Set as Default:Go to supported URLs

then change "Via this app" to "In Other App".

ziakhan2

Jun 29, 2017
Visit site
Hi All,

Its very easy do not annoy. just goto setting>Applications>App Manager.
find your app which is opening map like HERE WEGO. Click on Set as default>
there is Go to Supported URLs. click on it choose Always ask.
and if you want any App to open by default like google maps do same process and choose Via this app. or if you want to choose every time then make it all Always ask.
close and try whtsup share location it will work 100%.
Thanks Enjoy:)
Zia

shimav

Jun 12, 2018
Visit site
Hi. Go to "Settings", "Apps", "Maps", "Open By Default", "Open Supported Links", and select "Open In This App". Back out and go to "Settings", "Apps", "Uber", "Open By Default", "Open Supported Links", and select "Don't Open In This App". Repeat this for any app that takes over Maps. I hope & say a prayer it works for you. It did for me.

Thanks it worked!

Ethanhunt007

Aug 23, 2022
Visit site
By mistake I selected open always option to open location links using uber instead of google maps.

Solution :

Go to settings > Applications > Uber > "Set as default"

Undo or off/on "Set as default ".

Check again, whatsapp should ask which app to use to open location links.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
By mistake I selected open always option to open location links using uber instead of google maps.

Solution :

Go to settings > Applications > Uber > "Set as default"

Undo or off/on "Set as default ".

Check again, whatsapp should ask which app to use to open location links.
Welcome to AC!
Thanks for your tip

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuzuboiii