Why is my lock screen set to swipe even though settings says it is set to PIN?

A

AC Question

I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 which is updated to the most recent system update, as of June 2017. I suddenly decided I wanted to change my fingerprint scan lock to a PIN lock. When I did this, I turned off my phone to test it out as I usually do. It was then I saw that my screen lock changed to a swipe and there was no PIN enter screen. I have my phone set to immediately lock after powering off, too. I went to settings to try to reset my screen lock type, but when I tried to confirm my PIN, it said I had entered it wrong. I'm sure I typed the right numbers since I had only created this about a minute ago. I tried re-entering the PIN multiple times and even tried previous PIN codes I made. Nothing worked. After several wrong attempts, however, it did not make me wait 30 seconds or a minute.

Soon after I tried to Google my problem and cleared my system cache like one of these threads suggested, but my problem still remains. Can anyone help? Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try using Android Device Manager to remotely set a lock. It'll probably tell you that it isn't necessary since the phone already has a password set -- but it might work in this specific situation.

If ADM doesn't work, then try using Samsung's Find My Mobile to remotely reset the password: https://findmymobile.samsung.com/