System upgrade

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

What memory were used in updating a system (e.g. optimization of battery usage)? Is it RAM or Internal Storage?
Thank you in Advanced.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure I get your reference to "optimization of battery usage" as related to a question about what memory is used for an OS update.

RAM is volatile memory, when the phone/device is powered off the RAM is emptied.

OS updates are applied to files stored in internal storage.

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Android Central.

KoFran95

Oct 8, 2017
Visit site
Finally, I am a member. Hehe thanks to you.
What I am saying is I have a message from my phone I've attached the screenshot here.
I am in doubt whether to take this risk because it might shrink my RAM. Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171009_001132.png
    Screenshot_20171009_001132.png
    133.5 KB · Views: 1

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome!

RAM won't decrease as a result of an OS update. RAM is a fixed capacity based on how much was installed in the device at the time of manufacture.

Now - that doesn't mean that the amount of UNUSED RAM won't shrink if the OS update includes new components that load into memory at phone boot.

If you're talking about long-term internal storage (flash memory), it's also possible that the OS update could reduce the amount available to you to use. However, the OS updates typically replace existing files with the new version and don't take any additional space.

I have not heard of FunTouch OS, what device is that?