How do I remove a firmware update?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

My Galaxy J5 did a system update yesterday and now the icons are difficult to see, the colours on messages/emails etc have all changed and again difficult to read. Changes are awful and not for the better. I would need a simple to do answer as I am not a big tech fan. Thank you in advance

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
My Galaxy J5 did a system update yesterday and now the icons are difficult to see, the colours on messages/emails etc have all changed and again difficult to read. Changes are awful and not for the better. I would need a simple to do answer as I am not a big tech fan. Thank you in advance

As far as I know, there’s no way to revert to earlier firmware versions after updating.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It may be possible to revert, but it's not easy. A factory reset wouldn't work forget, as it'll only reset to the fresh state of the current version.

*IF* it's possible, it'll be from the Android community at large (usually at the XDA Developers site), not an official Samsung procedure. Because these guys usually work on a volunteer basis, whether or not there is a way to do it on your phone depends a lot on the phone's popularity and ease of hacking.

To put it in laymen terms, you would have to root the phone to gain unrestricted access to system level files, then manually flash the proper OS to it. The exact steps for this vary for each phone. Even for different versions of the same phone. The process and needed files to do this on a Sprint version of the phone will likely be different than on a Verizon version of the same phone. So if you find a place claiming reverting is possible, make sure you learn all you can about the process. One wrong step can brick your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch