New phone, no apps but still ads!

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I have a new android phone. I just did a factory reset, complete wipe. I have not installed any apps but I am still getting ads!

Examples:
https://i.imgur.com/MhC4BYo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/AEt3mJd.jpg

I don't use my phone for anything but phonecalls, so where is this stuff coming from and how do I get rid of it permanently?

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
You can try the debloater tool. Unfortunately I don't know the exact app so it would be a trial and error kind of thing. Also be careful as you can mess up your phone to the point that it could be unusable.

https://www.google.com.vn/amp/s/for.../debloater-remove-carrier-bloat-t2998294/amp/

I appreciate the info, but this seems like something that could bite me in the butt ... I don't have enough knowledge about android or the specific problem I am having to make an informed judgement on this.

LadyWho

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Another thread about the same issue: https://community.virginmobileusa.c...op-up-on-UMX-when-no-apps-are-open/td-p/18213. Someone there identified the Gallery app as the culprit, so try disabling it. Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, select Gallery, and tap Disable (if possible). Then install another gallery app like Google Photos or Focus -- the latter is by a respected ROM developer.

You are awesome to keep researching this for us. I looked all over virgin mobile for threads about it and didn't find it. I will try disabling the gallery and post back if successful. At the very least, it confirms a suspicion that there can be something embedded in the default apps that is causing it.
In your instructions, where you say MENU, it didn't dawn on me right away you meant to click on the little tree dot menu button, once I figured that out it was golden :)

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Another thread about the same issue: https://community.virginmobileusa.c...op-up-on-UMX-when-no-apps-are-open/td-p/18213. Someone there identified the Gallery app as the culprit, so try disabling it. Go to Settings>Apps, tap Menu>Show System, select Gallery, and tap Disable (if possible). Then install another gallery app like Google Photos or Focus -- the latter is by a respected ROM developer.

I definitely appreciate you looking into this, but disabling the gallery did not help me ... still ads.

LadyWho

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
Sadly, disabling gallery did not help me either, I was ad free for about an hour, didn't go online, didn't do anything, but then the ads came back.

Cronie, please come back after your new phone comes, let us know if it's better, thanks.

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Sadly, disabling gallery did not help me either, I was ad free for about an hour, didn't go online, didn't do anything, but then the ads came back.

Cronie, please come back after your new phone comes, let us know if it's better, thanks.

The phone came earlier today. I just activated it, but I have not entered my gmail account or name or anything. I am just going to watch it and see what happens overnight. Not planning to install any apps or anything.

LadyWho

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
I want to add today that the frequency of the ads has definitely slowed down since I disabled the gallery. They were much more frequent before.
So presumably this may mean that default apps that come from assurance pre-loaded on the phone, can have a problem. This is troubling.

I still wish I knew: are they purposely putting ads in there? Is there a virus embedded deep on the phone that they are not finding when they refurbish a phone to send to us as a replacement?

LadyWho

Dec 22, 2017
Visit site
The phone came earlier today. I just activated it, but I have not entered my gmail account or name or anything. I am just going to watch it and see what happens overnight. Not planning to install any apps or anything.
@cronie That sounds like a good plan. Also, maybe once you do enter your google info, don't tell it to copy over your apps from before. (I made that mistake once, and had to reset again.) Just watch what it does for a while after you tell it who you are. Then if no ads, install apps one at a time (if you need any.) (I still think the ads are there before we put on our own apps.)

Presumably all default apps are on there at this point?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try calling Assurance Wireless customer service at 888-321-5880 and let them know about this preinstalled adware. Ask if they are aware of this, and if it's normal behavior for phones on their service.

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Try calling Assurance Wireless customer service at 888-321-5880 and let them know about this preinstalled adware. Ask if they are aware of this, and if it's normal behavior for phones on their service.

Hehe, I have spent many hours on the phone with their "customer service" this month and I think talking to them for 20 minutes might change your opinion.

None of them speak english as a first language and they just read off a script. I know outsourcing service is common practice in most industries these days, but these guys are worse, trust me. If you ask to talk to a supervisor they almost laugh at you. It is bad customer service BY DESIGN. They don't actually want to help people. They already got paid from the government so there is no profit in investing in better service.

In any case, I did try to make them aware of the situation and they didn't care. They sent me a new phone, but they are not interested in fixing any underlying issues. The phones are worthless so it is easier to just replace them.

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
@cronie That sounds like a good plan. Also, maybe once you do enter your google info, don't tell it to copy over your apps from before. (I made that mistake once, and had to reset again.) Just watch what it does for a while after you tell it who you are. Then if no ads, install apps one at a time (if you need any.) (I still think the ads are there before we put on our own apps.)

Presumably all default apps are on there at this point?

Yeah, I mean there is not much I can do a bout the default apps. This time I did not enter a name or gmail account. I guess that means I can't download apps, but I don't care.

Well, I never really installed any apps in the first place .... I tried an mp3 player, musiclolet, buy that was about it. Wherever this adware is coming from it did not come from apps.

So far, the new phone hasn't shown any ads, but I am scared to death to do anything with it. I feel like as soon as I install a single thing i will have a barrage of ads again. So for now I am just gonna use it as a phone and not a smartphone.

aCarelessbear

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Ok so if your having this add problem i found a way to disable it comes from a app called"iWireless Moments" if you have a free gouverment phone its not mark as an app. what you need to do to disable it is go settings > Apps click on the three dots to the top right "Show system" and find the it disable / force stop then restart your phone.

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Ok so if your having this add problem i found a way to disable it comes from a app called"iWireless Moments" if you have a free gouverment phone its not mark as an app. what you need to do to disable it is go settings > Apps click on the three dots to the top right "Show system" and find the it disable / force stop then restart your phone.

Sorry for not responding sooner. I don't have an app called iwireless moments ... I found and disabled an app called "ad sense." But I still get the occasional ad

Basically, I just don't use the phone for anything other than phonecalls. I never enter any personal information in it and I didn't connect it to a google account. I have always been more of a computer person anyways.

rc-9876

May 8, 2018
Visit site
Hello,
I had the exact same problem with ads constantly popping up. In my case, this adware is located in the system partition. The only thing I can think of to get rid of it is by reflashing the ROM. Unfortunately for me, it’s incredibly difficult to find a ROM for my phone. Since I couldn’t delete the adware, I disabled it. If you can’t delete, disable is the next best solution.

In my case, the adware app is called “ad-surface”. If you don’t have this adware, here’s the links I used as reference for other possible solutions:
https://android.stackexchange.com/q...app-is-causing-popups-not-in-notification-bar.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/g...random-apps-keep-installing-themselves-3.html (This one refers to malware and how to get rid of it starting on the 2nd page. Found it to be informative.)

On a side note, I heard other people having ads from their app “Featured Apps”. I didn’t have ads coming from it. However, I disabled it to maximize my phone’s performance.

Here’s my solution that worked for me:
1) Go to Settings.
2) Next, go to Apps.
3) Once there, look for the 3 vertical dots on the top, right corner. Select it.
4) Next, select the option “Show system”.
5) Scroll down to “ad-surface” and select it.
Next, select Disable, and for good measure (optional), I select “Force stop”. However, need to Force stop every time restart phone.
6) Optional (for good measure), beneath Disable, select Storage, and then “Cleared data” and “Clear cache”.
7) Optional, beneath Storage, select Data usage, and then press on the button for “Background data” to disable it.
8) Optional, beneath Data usage, select Notifications, and then press on the button for “Block all” to enable it.
9) Optional, finally, beneath Notifications, select “Draw over other apps”, and then press on the button “Permit drawing over other apps” to disable it.

Good luck! Hopefully, this works for you too!

onigbogijohnson

May 11, 2018
Visit site

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
For those of you who do add even one app from the app store a recommendation - before you ad a new app ALWAYS read the reviews. Click on the 1 star reviews or just scroll to see them. There are dozens of apps with complaints from users about popup ads. Malwarebytes doesn't even try to find them. They say their app is for malware not adware (which IS malware imo). Unfortunately Google does little or nothing to keep adware out of their app store. It is the major source of monetization for developers.

Lynn R

Nov 30, 2018
Visit site
I found a solution, at least for my phone (ANS UL40). Go to notifications in the settings menu, tap the more symbol in the upper right corner to show system apps as well. Open every single one and select no for any that have a setting for "on the lock screen" (I did for all but 'phone' apps)
I did this a few weeks ago, and I haven't had a single ad pop up on my phone since.
I hope this helps!

crystal heckel

Dec 14, 2018
Visit site
I have been reading up on this. Apparently assurance wireless is including adware on the list of pre-loaded apps. It's not just one, so it looks like they are putting these on according to which apps are paying currently when setting up and sending the phones. My pre-loaded app was called V8. I have since disabled it and stopped getting ads. Review all pre-loaded apps and check what they do.

cronie

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
I have been reading up on this. Apparently assurance wireless is including adware on the list of pre-loaded apps. It's not just one, so it looks like they are putting these on according to which apps are paying currently when setting up and sending the phones. My pre-loaded app was called V8. I have since disabled it and stopped getting ads. Review all pre-loaded apps and check what they do.

Do you have any links to where you found the info? I have definitely noticed a change in the type of ads that are put up.

I have no idea which ads are legit or not. I turn off as much as I can, but nothing has worked permanently. And of course, no one at Assurance will admit to any of this BS.

These phones are designed for emergencies ... someone is going to get hurt when they are trying to call 911 and get an ad they can't close ... it is irresponsible of AW.

terbospeed

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Hey, I just received an ANS UL40 with malware on it. My method of (mostly) disabling it was through ADB. Every vendor supplied app is suspect, but I still get pop-ups from 178.128.221.39 in Chrome beta.

The packages I disabled were

com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping
com.android.soundrecorder
com.cyanogenmod.filemanager
com.facebook.appmanager
com.facebook.katana
com.facebook.orca
com.facebook.system
com.google.android.apps.photos
com.google.android.apps.docs
com.innopath.activecare
com.innopath.activecare.dev.oem
com.instagram.android

Info on how to disable these packages (some of which you can't disable through the GUI) are at https://www.xda-developers.com/uninstall-carrier-oem-bloatware-without-root-access

Pretty upset at having to do this, especially since they censor any talk of removing this software on their official forum. Trying to find someone higher up who can do something..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89