How do I exit the Amazon Music app when I'm finished listening? The music keeps playing when I try.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I want to listen to my music, but its frustrating. I shouldn't have to turn off my phone and restart in order for my music to stop playing. There is probably a simple solution, but I can't figure it out.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
re: How do I exit the Amazon Music app when I'm finished listening? The music keeps playing when I try.

Welcome to the forums. If you pull the notification shade down, does a swipe it aside, does it stop?

Paul Owens1

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
re: How do I exit the Amazon Music app when I'm finished listening? The music keeps playing when I try.

Below your notification area, you'll see Amazon playing. It will have a cross at the end. Press that to close it. Job done.

Last edited:

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

In any music app there should be a stop button (where the play button was when the app wasn't playing music). Tap that and the music will stop. Many apps also show that button in the notification.

Berry me a G

Dec 6, 2009
Visit site

Im having the same problem as in once I start the amazon music I cant close it unless I force close the app. I cant find any "x" or other word that I can click on. Without force closing App the Amazon music icon always stays in my top notification zone. ..Is anyone else experiencing this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

There should be an icon when you first run the app that's a triangle pointing to the right (the universal "play" symbol). When you tap that the music plays, and the icon changes to either 2 bars (the universal "pause" symbol) or a square (the universal "stop" symbol). Tap that and the music should stop. Then tap the Back button (of the phone - there's none in the app), and the app should close - with no music playing.

Ness S IT

May 25, 2018
Visit site

On my HTC U11 there is no x or exit button visible. Tapping back doesnt work nor does opening the recent app tiles and closing there. Only way to close the app is to Pause the current music open the notifications area then swipe the "Now Playing" notification either left or right, doesn't matter, the app will then close.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried the menu? It may have a Quit or Exit option. An app with no way to exit or close with the back button may have other missing things too. (Not having the music stop when you exit the app is normal - you stop the music [or pause it], then hit the back button. That's standard, so you can hear the music when you're running another app. Running another app means exiting the music app.)

JakeRake1911

May 28, 2018
Visit site

I was having the same problem. The notification doesn't swipe to exit the application, but then I noticed a small caret at the top of the notification. I tapped that upward caret and then the notification did swipe to close the app.

zitsky

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site

Here's what I did. I played music again then stopped it. Then I had a notification in the notification area from the Amazon Music menu. *THEN* I swiped right in the notification area and *THEN* I was able to make the Amazon Music notification go away. This doesn't work unless there is a number on the icon for Amazon Music (e.g. 1,2,3)

familyman02

Aug 4, 2018
Visit site

STOP first... THEN close. Why can't CLOSE mean CLOSE? There is much confusion over at amazon. Took. Me. Months. to find this out. why can't close mean close, why can't close mean close....

beejer252

Dec 15, 2018
Visit site

I have the same problem and I am listening on my ipad. I also plan to listen via Alexa.I do not see the notification box, or any carrots. I’m not even selecting a song to play, yet music is playing. I was in the process of ‘adding’ songs to playlist, but some played without my selecting to Play. The only way to stop is to sign out of the app all together which they suggest not doing, but otherwise it plays in background. Very frustrating.

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site

I am still having the issue , its 2020. The carat just expands the notification. Cannot remove by swiping. The settings will stop notifications permanently but that is not the goal here

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I am still having the issue , its 2020. The carat just expands the notification. Cannot remove by swiping. The settings will stop notifications permanently but that is not the goal here

Which phone do you have? I just tested it on my Pixel 3 XL -- if I start playing a song and then go to the homescreen, the music is still playing. I swipe down the notification panel and tap Pause on the Amazon Music controls to pause the music, then I swipe the notification away. That doesn't work for you? Remember, you have to pause the music first before you swipe the notification away.

jmsnyc

Jun 9, 2011
Visit site
Which phone do you have? I just tested it on my Pixel 3 XL -- if I start playing a song and then go to the homescreen, the music is still playing. I swipe down the notification panel and tap Pause on the Amazon Music controls to pause the music, then I swipe the notification away. That doesn't work for you? Remember, you have to pause the music first before you swipe the notification away.

s10+, does not swipe away when paused - have to go to task mgr

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Not surprisingly, it also works on my Pixel 2 XL.
@mustang7757 start playing a track, then hit the home button or back out to the home screen. Swipe down on the notification shade (do it too quick and it won't display the card for Amazon Music), try to swipe it away. You should get the gear for settings for that notification. Now pause the music and try swiping away again. It should swipe away, not show the gear for notification settings.

Well, it took me so long to type that you figured it out before I finished!!