Why does HTC Mail app keep crashing?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

On HTC 10 - Within in last two days HTC Mail app started crashing when ever I reply to a message or start a new email message.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Go to Settings>Apps, select the HTC Mail app, then Storage, then Clear Cache. If that doesn't work, you may also need to try Clear Data, but I'm not sure if this will erase any mail you might have downloaded (this is only a concern if your email server is POP3).

psc_sjk

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi, I have an HTC 10 also with the same problem started last night around midnight. As soon as reply to an email it crashes. If forwarding email then crashes as soon as enter the body of the email. I have discovered that can share a photo to email and send it OK.... But dont try to add text into body.... Else guess what it crashed! When this first happened I was sharing a text message to Mail... and it crashed..... and has dine ever since.... Have cleared cache if Mail / Messages & emptied the clipboard via the keyboard. Any ideas?!?!?

Trinakie

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
Hi,

I have the exact same problem with the Mail app in my HTC U11 since March 9th. Have tried to restart the phone, to clear cache, to clear data, to remove and add again the accounts but nothing seems to help. The app keeps crashing the moment I try to write or reply an email. Any help would be appreciated.

Roger Anderson

Mar 11, 2018
Visit site
I have an HTC M9/Android 7.0 and am having the same issue.
"unfortunately Mail has stopped working" as soon as I start typing inside the body. Address and Subject are fine.

-Cleared data
-Cleared cache
-Uninstalled update
-Rebooted
No change

Issue began March 10. Used my mail all day on Friday with no issue.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
March 10th, huh? The new update was released by Google on March 5th. It could have taken HRC only 5 days,. then they released their version - with a bug in the email app.

I'd install another email app and wait until the April update, to see if it gets fixed.

Henrik Mygind

Mar 12, 2018
Visit site
Go into apps. Find the Chrome app, and uninstall updates. Then boot phone. Worked on my HTC 10. Mail is no longer crashing when hitting reply.

... Looks like Chrome/Google made a mistake when snooping in our emails.....

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Go into apps. Find the Chrome app, and uninstall updates. Then boot phone. Worked on my HTC 10. Mail is no longer crashing when hitting reply.

This suggests it might be an issue with Android System Webview (which, in Nougat and above, is taken care of by Chrome). Every now and then, an update to Android System Webview/Chrome would cause something to act funny (and IIRC, often with HTC phones). Uninstalling Chrome updates may have gotten rid of that Android System Webview update as well. I'd watch closely for the next time Chrome is updated, and then update your version of Chrome -- hopefully the bug would've been fixed by then.

joguerr

Mar 13, 2018
Visit site
I, too, have had this issue for a couple of days. Did the Chrome thing and mail was up and working again....for several hours. Had to go back and again uninstall the Chrome update. Will Chrome continue to try to do an update, does anyone know? Or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Joe

normsland

Nov 14, 2015
Visit site
Any ideas of when this one might be fixed? Like some others I only noticed this yesterday after Chrome decided to update. Does anyone know the last good version of Chrome before it broke our mail?