Galaxy S9 media to 2014 Honda CR-V via USB

Jake Raynor

Mar 20, 2018
Visit site
*Title Error: Phone kept auto correcting CR-Z to CR-V*

I recently switched from iPhone 6s to Galaxy S9 and am extremely happy with this decision. But there's one thing thats been bugging me and I've looked and looked for a solution, but have found nothing helpful.

I drive a 2014 Honda CR-Z, specifically NOT the EX edition. I could plug my iPhone in and play music over USB just fine. I liked this because I could use the steering wheel controls to change songs. Now that I switched to GS9, whenever I plug my phone into the USB, my onboard display says 'unsupported.'

I've read that this has to do with older Honda models not being built to properly interface with Android's MTP, but I must ask, is there a definitive solution to this?

And let me clarify, my CR-Z has Bluetooth compatibility, but only for phonecalls. I currently use an auxiliary cord. I'd just like to be able to use my steering controls to change the music as I drive. Another thing to note, when charging my phone via the car's built in USB, I've noticed that the phone still slowly loses power. I have since switched to a Samsung Fast Charge DC to USB converter. Is this normal? If I can manage to play music via USB, will I not be able to also charge my phone properly? Please help.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Hi, you can't control your phone through the car controls. Use the aux cable. As to charging, the USB port you plugged into isn't for charging. Get a charger that uses your 12v cigarette lighter.
Good luck.

jax0624

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
@method man, you are incorrect. I also switched from iPhone 6s to android, and I can say for a fact that not only does the USB port work to simultaneously charge the phone and stream music, but you are also able to control audio via the media buttons on the steering wheel.

@jakeraynor- I so feel your pain. I've searched all over the internet and also found that this is a compatibility issue between the android OS of all galaxy version (4-9) and the audio system in several cars. The issue isnt even isolated to just Honda/HFL users...there are several other systems that have this exact issue. From what I've found while browsing various threads, samsung tech support continually responds to this issue by stating that its basically everything elses fault but their own. Then after about a year they do a software update to debug the issue and suddenly everyone's auto media works. So rather than them actually learning from this exact issue over the past 6 years with every single version of the galaxy, they prefer to deny any accountability for their repeated mistake. I saw one samsung tech support guy on one of the threads actually blame the person who posted the question and was about to go all keyboard warrior until I read further and saw everyone else already called him out and he got fired lol. For real though, this is super annoying. I shouldn't have to have a cigarette charger in my car to charge my phone. It's 2018. I have a usb port. My mom's mini van and my dad's SUV both have actual wall outlets, but yet my phone won't even play music and charge. In fact, not only does it not charge, but you're absolutely right, it sucks the life outta my battery. I plugged my phone into my USB before I came on this site just to see if by chance they'd done to update, and just on the few minutes its taken me to read and respond to your comment, I'm down from 100% to 89% I hate this phone. Im so tempted to switch to another cell provider, just so they will pay this piece of crap off, buy me out of my contract with my current company, just so i can go back to the iPhone. This stupid phone is literally one problem after another. It's such a joke. 🤬

I recently switched from iPhone 6s to Galaxy S9 and am extremely happy with this decision. But there's one thing thats been bugging me and I've looked and looked for a solution, but have found nothing helpful.

I drive a 2014 Honda CR-Z, specifically NOT the EX edition. I could plug my iPhone in and play music over USB just fine. I liked this because I could use the steering wheel controls to change songs. Now that I switched to GS9, whenever I plug my phone into the USB, my onboard display says 'unsupported.'

I've read that this has to do with older Honda models not being built to properly interface with Android's MTP, but I must ask, is there a definitive solution to this?

And let me clarify, my CR-Z has Bluetooth compatibility, but only for phonecalls. I currently use an auxiliary cord. I'd just like to be able to use my steering controls to change the music as I drive. Another thing to note, when charging my phone via the car's built in USB, I've noticed that the phone still slowly loses power. I have since switched to a Samsung Fast Charge DC to USB converter. Is this normal? If I can manage to play music via USB, will I not be able to also charge my phone properly? Please help.

jax0624

Nov 27, 2018
Visit site
@method man, you are incorrect. I also switched from iPhone 6s to android, and I can say for a fact that not only does the USB port work to simultaneously charge the phone and stream music, but you are also able to control audio via the media buttons on the steering wheel.

@jakeraynor- I so feel your pain. I've searched all over the internet and also found that this is a compatibility issue between the android OS of all galaxy version (4-9) and the audio system in several cars. The issue isnt even isolated to just Honda/HFL users...there are several other systems that have this exact issue. From what I've found while browsing various threads, samsung tech support continually responds to this issue by stating that its basically everything elses fault but their own. Then after about a year they do a software update to debug the issue and suddenly everyone's auto media works. So rather than them actually learning from this exact issue over the past 6 years with every single version of the galaxy, they prefer to deny any accountability for their repeated mistake. I saw one samsung tech support guy on one of the threads actually blame the person who posted the question and was about to go all keyboard warrior until I read further and saw everyone else already called him out and he got fired lol. For real though, this is super annoying. I shouldn't have to have a cigarette charger in my car to charge my phone. It's 2018. I have a usb port. My mom's mini van and my dad's SUV both have actual wall outlets, but yet my phone won't even play music and charge. In fact, not only does it not charge, but you're absolutely right, it sucks the life outta my battery. I plugged my phone into my USB before I came on this site just to see if by chance they'd done to update, and just on the few minutes its taken me to read and respond to your comment, I'm down from 100% to 89% I hate this phone. Im so tempted to switch to another cell provider, just so they will pay this piece of crap off, buy me out of my contract with my current company, just so i can go back to the iPhone. This stupid phone is literally one problem after another. It's such a joke. 🤬

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non