Unknown caller shows under existing contact name

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi everyone,

Today I received two calls which came up under one of my existing contact name, however when I answered the phone, the caller was an unknown person. At first I thought this was some odd case of misconnection but two calls like this in the same day just seem very strange.

The first call came up as my mum and the second call as my friend. Both times when I answered a stranger was on the other line and not the person I was expecting!

Has anyone ever experienced this, I am concerned somebody has hacked in to my contacts and are using my existing contact numbers fraudulently!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Was it the same unknown person both times, or a different one? Were they wrong numbers, or were they trying to sell you something?

aspire5

Apr 26, 2018
Visit site
Hi there, I believe they were two different people, although it is hard to say as I disconnected the call as soon as I realized it wasn't the person I expected! The strange thing is, before I received the first call, my mum tried to call me and got connected to this wrong person, the same person then called me (however the caller showed as my mum) and said 'You just tried to call me'.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
"Spoofing" (i.e., making a call seem like it's coming from someone else) is becoming a more popular way for telemarketers and scam artists to contact people. Unfortunately, there's not much that can be done about that right now. Google's own spam caller detection can't quite figure out when a call is being spoofed.