How do I export SMS messages from Samsung's default app to my PC?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I have an SMS conversation of some 40 messages that I need to get from my phone to my PC, with all the sender, time/date, etc information intact. I also need it to be in a human-readable format, so that I can email the conversation to someone for their review (they are not a technical sort).

Ideally, I would take the one-file results of the transfer, open it up, copy and paste to Word or Notepad or whatever, save, attach the saved file to my email, and send.

The conversation in question happened yesterday - when I use apps like Textra or SMS Backup and Restore+, they grab every possible message that I've deleted...But never the messages I have not deleted that I actually want.

If it matters, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 on T-mobile (they tried to direct me to their Digits app, which was no help) which just today updated to Oreo from whatever the previous version was (7.1?).

It's not like this is for a legal case or anything, but the text conversation in question is the best contemporaneous record I have of what happened when and in what order, and I'd like to get it off the phone before my memory falters.