SD Card as primary storage location

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi people, can someone of u inform me if the LG Q7 allows to set SD card as primary storage location for all kind of apps but system ones without rooting it?
Hope to get a reply coz I'm desperately looking for an Android 8 Oreo smartphone, dual sim (no hybrid) and dedicated SD card slot which allows me to set SD card as primary storage location without rooting it, if possible.
Motorola was allowing it, but I bought a G6 Plus which doesn't allows me to move anything but photos n vids on SD card.
I would have to root it but Visa informed me that NFC service will stop working on a rooted smartphone due to security issues.
I'm glad for any kind of useful reply.
Regards.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Most, if not all, phones out there will not let you set the SD card as the default/primary storage. When it comes to SD cards, Android is picky. By default, Google doesn't even allow it and it's up to manufacturers to add that support. Even then they are still limited. Apps will always install to the internal storage first. The ability to move apps depends on the developers to program the apps to do so. Those that can be moved will not move everything, leaving variable amounts on the internal storage after the move. And then when you update the apps, they will be moved back to internal storage to do so and you'll need to move them again.

This is Android in general. The best you can do is go into the various apps and set them to save their generated files (I.e. The camera app's photos) to the SD card. There isn't even a global setting for this function.

For Marshmallow, they did try adoptable storage that would treat the SD card the same as internal storage, but it was problematic and abandoned. There may be some obscure phones out there with a custom Android build that can do what you want, but they would be from sketchy no-name manufacturers that I wouldn't trust. When it comes to the major brands and flagship phones, what you're asking for just doesn't exist.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non