Suspicious file trying to download while overseas using wifi

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I am overseas at the moment and i logged my mums device (galaxy s3) onto the public wifi at a museum. i have noticed each time i connect her to the wifi her apps are automatically downloading which is fine, but this time the file name that was beginning to download was something along the lines of “attacker...” i immediately turned the phone off and have not turned it back yet. Ive tried to get her on facebook on my devices but have had a bit of difficulty, not sure if this is related or if theres been a breach?

We do not have a roaming sim and wont be home for another 2 weeks. I was thinking about turning her phone back on, deleting the banking apps and searching her downloads to look for something suspicious and delete it.

Hope someone can help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! What do you mean that when you connected to wi-fi, her apps were automatically downloading? Do you mean the Play Store was automatically installing updates to the apps?

Go to Settings>Security and make sure Unknown Sources is turned off. Then turn on wi-fi again and see what tries to download. If Unknown Sources is turned off, any app outside of the Play Store won't be able to install, so you should be safe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty