Stopwatch and Timer ticking noise - how to mute it?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I've just bought Huawei P20 with Android 8 and I've noticed one really annoying thing that I just can't get rid off. The preinstalled Clock application has Timer and Stopwatch mode and they both do annoying ticking noise when running. I don't get why anyone would actually put their efforts into something like this... Are we in nineteens or what?

So far, I haven't found any solution how to mute this sound. Does anyone know how to solve this?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Is there a menu (3 dots in the upper right corner, or 3 lines in the upper left corner)? If there is, is there a Settings item? If there is, is there anything in there to turn sound off?

Gabo Capo

Jan 1, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
how to turn it off I do not know without root but with a little trick you can suppress the noise. You only have to change the menu of the timer to stopwatch so that if you minimize the app you are in a different menu than where you have activated something.

Frans of Otherworld

Jul 29, 2019
Visit site
hey - I just stumbled over the solution - a case of obscurity by simplicity...
When you hear the annoying ticking sound, the physical volume-slider on the phone controls the volume of the ticking, not the alarm volume
To test, set a timer for 10 seconds, start it, and turn the volume down. If the ticking sound is muted and the alarm sounds after the 10 secs, voilá.

worked on a huawei p10 running emui 9.0.1

DrRobotnet

Sep 30, 2019
Visit site
DEFAULT CLOCK...
When the timer starts, swipe down and tap on the timer so you can see it, then minimise the timer (swipe up gesture or home button). Alternatively, when the timer is running, on the clock screen as before, select any of the other options at the bottom (e.g. Stopwatch). Doing that should silence it but keep it running.

ALTERNATE CLOCK....
Install a different clock with timer. Open Google Assistant or say 'OK Google... set a timer' dont give a duration, just wait... Then when you're presented a screen to enter a duration, click on the clock in the bubble in order to change the default app to your 3rd party clock.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty