Can't receive texts from Verizon phone after porting number from Google Voice

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

This is a weird one. I was using Google Voice for my main number for years. I finally decided to port my Google Voice number to my cell phone on T-Mobile. Every since porting I can no longer receive texts from people with Verizon phones. I can send text to those people and they receive them but I can not receive messages from them. I've tested with several people on other carriers and send/receive works. I believe all of the phones that work are on GSM networks (like my T Mobile) so not sure if it's Verizon specific or CDMA vs GSM.

I reset my phone, tried several Text apps, tried deleting contacts and re adding them and have had T Mobile reflash my sim several times. I'm at a loss and so is T-Mobile support so seeing if anyone has ideas.

OhThatTallKid

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same exact issue... Very frustrating. I've tried updating the APN settings to several different options, but still no luck. Can't receive anything from Verizon users (prepaid included like Visible). MMS works, data works, regular SMS text works from all other carriers (AT&T, T-mobile, Google Voice, etc) but nothing with Verizon. Using an unlocked Samsung Galaxy Note 9.

wtmathew

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same exact issue. Found this on another forum: "Your best bet is to have your friends on Verizon contact Verizon and tell them some messages are not being delivered...Chances are, Verizon has some out of date record saying they should still try and deliver SMS to Google."

Going to have a friend try this out, but wonder if anyone has already tried this?

OhThatTallKid

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same exact issue. Found this on another forum: "Your best bet is to have your friends on Verizon contact Verizon and tell them some messages are not being delivered...Chances are, Verizon has some out of date record saying they should still try and deliver SMS to Google."

Going to have a friend try this out, but wonder if anyone has already tried this?

I've escalated it as far as it can go with both my carrier and Verizon. The texts were traced and never hit my carriers network (AT&T). Verizon's network team now has it and is researching. The SMS don't hit Verizon's "clearing house" so they aren't routing to my carrier because of it

OhThatTallKid

Nov 28, 2018
Visit site

@wtmathew Verizon fixed this issue on their end. So have a friend call in and escalate it to Verizon's network team. My SMS were still routing to Google instead of the correct place from their clearing house routing. Took a few weeks, but my texts from Verizon customers are finally coming through to me

wtmathew

Dec 6, 2018
Visit site
I'm happy to report the issue has finally been resolved! For those still having similar issues, have T-Mobile create a trouble ticket to the intercarrier messaging group. It is my understanding that two attempts were made with the intercarrier messaging group. During the first attempt, Verizon informed T-Mobile to have a Verizon customer create a trouble ticket. However, during the second attempt, "forceful" messaging was used to finally fix the issue. Hope this helps others!

SivadMada

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
So what's the solution here? Is it to call TMobile and ask them to use "forceful" messaging? Or does someone with a Verizon account need to ask them to allow "forceful" messaging to my TMobile number?

I'm having the exact same issue and it's very frustrating.

SivadMada

Dec 20, 2018
Visit site
So what's the solution here? Is it to call TMobile and ask them to use "forceful" messaging? Or does someone with a Verizon account need to ask them to allow "forceful" messaging to my TMobile number?

I'm having the exact same issue and it's very frustrating.

Mi 1

Jan 6, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
I'm having the exact same issue as you all do. The only difference is that I ported from to metro pcs from google voice. I can send texts to Verizon but not receive them. Everything else works fine. Texts do come in from T Mobile and ATT fine.

It appears this is all caused from porting out of google voice? So word to the wise~ never, ever, port into GV if you ever intend to port out!

I've been on the phone with Verizon and Metro for literally 4 hours to no avail (multiple conference calls). I literally lost my voice explaining over and over to the phone agents, tech support sups from metro, customer care rep @ Verizon, etc. OMG its never-ending!! I feel kinda like a ping pong ball!

Metro is going to try to start the port from scratch somehow and see if that solves anything--I doubt it will.

Verizon insists everything is fine on their end. No outages, my number correctly registered in their database, etc. I've even had Verizon customers on the line and we give dates, times, phone numbers of the failed texts. They still can't figure it out.

I need help. 😩
Metro and Verizon seem clueless. I know I could change phone numbers but I don't want to. Does anyone know a good contact person at Verizon who might know how to fix this?

First question:
The supervisor at Metro is sympathetic but we don't know who at Verizon is! Any contact info or at least what department there may help? Any thoughts? Who can help us!?

Second question: What's the best way to phrase the issue so the reps get it? Intercarrier SMS issue, problem with Verizon clearinghouse?

Third question: if I did a second port, say from metro to cricket, would this fix it? Thoughts? Maybe that's the easiest fix?

Mi 1

Jan 6, 2019
Visit site
After 22 days of calling and calling Metro PCS, I wrote an email to the president of the company. Today an engineer went into the system, did something on the "back end" and viola, I can receive texts from Verizon.

While I'm glad this is behind me, I've learned that front-end support is truly worthless in this scenario. Even the call center and porting supervisors and directors don't know what to do. It was truly sickening. However, the corporate office found someone to fix it in less that 24 hours.

Also, don't give in. Don't let them convice you there's something wrong with your phone or SIM-- that's a sign the agent is lost and grasping for any way to get you off his back.

So word to the wise, don't ever let to Google voice unless you want to go through hell trying to get your number back later. Maybe we should create a support group for those of us who get lost in seemingly futile endeavor of porting out of google voice. Just kidding!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez