Should my friend reimburse me?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I moved to another country with my friend. We didn't have anywhere to stay at first. My friend managed to get us a place to stay for a few months thanks to a family friend for free.
During the same time, my friend had trouble with his change of bank and did not have a debit card. I paid for him for everything (food, transport, etc) which must have cost me about £1500.
Once our situation stabilised, I asked for my money back. He got upset and told me that I had a place to live in for free for months thanks to him and that it was inappropriate for me to ask him for my money back. I replied that I was very grateful but that it wasn't fair, that it wasn't like it was his house, he stayed there for free as well.
I brought it up a few times but it's been years and I still think that he owes me that money and he keeps dismissing it.
What do you think? Is it unreasonable to want to him to refund me? Or is he being unreasonable?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
When you first started helping him, did you both agree he would pay you back? If so, then I would agree he owes you the money. If you just started paying his way, then I don't think you should expect repayment.

He also has a very good point about hooking you up with a free place to stay.

If I were in your place and otherwise financially stable, I think I'd just let it go. Especially if you are wanting to maintain the friendship. If you go that route, make sure you let him know you are dropping the issue so he's not left constantly wondering when you'll ask for it again.

If you are on hard times yourself right now and really need the money, I may try to explain that to him (not suggesting you make up a sob story, though!) and see if he'll take pity on you. Just understand that pursuing this could ruin the friendship.

It's not unreasonable for you to want the money back. Who wouldn't want to be reimbursed?!? I understand that is a lot of money, but at some point it's just not worth the stress to keep gong for it.

Kodak2

Jul 30, 2018
Visit site
I would never lend money to a friend or pay for him, I would happily give him money to help him out and not expect it's return. A good friend is worth more than money. Stop asking for the money to be returned and that way you will keep your friend.

No doubt others will have different views.

I hope this helps you to resolve your issues.