Why did Android block casting except for Chromecast?

djnmya

Jan 11, 2019
Visit site
I used to cast all the time with my Google phone and just bought a moto G6 and can't cast any more to my LG TV.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which phone did you have before, and which G6 variant do you have now? It may be that your previous phone supported Miracast/DLNA, while your G6 doesn't.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I've researched this numerous times, Miracast was built as a universal standard, its what most casting is based off of, but Google stripped it from Android with 6.0.

Some Android OEMs like Samsung still support it, while those that stick with stock or near stock don't implement it. Personally I think Google did it to push their inferior Chromecast on the market, and its one reason I refuse to own a phone with stock Android.

dowtchaboy

Jan 28, 2019
Visit site
The LG app from the Google Play Store called LG TV Plus should do what you want. It seems like it's a workaround for the Miacast/Chromecast problem. You may have to set up Direct Connect between the TV and the phone. However you may only get screen mirroring - I have no experience of Miracast to know if that's as good as it gets.

I have an LG WebOS based smart TV and a Moto G6, but I happen to have a Chromecast Ultra plugged in to the TV so I didn't bother trying the LG app method.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital