Hey there,

I have had a few problems with my phone, and I think they might have something to to with malware.

My phone: Motorola Moto e5, Android 8.0 Oreo

1: Apps disappear from the recent apps tab (you know, that button next to the home button).

2: Apps are sometimes losing their save data.

3: I cannot see 5GHz WiFi networks anymore, even though I could before (even when using 3rd party WiFi apps eg. WiFiMan, WiFi Analyser).

4: The phone is more laggy than it was before. I created another user account for testing purposes and it was less lag. YouTube videos sometimes skip a few frames.

5: Even though my phone has a 4000mAh battery, I have noticed a large increase in battery drain.

I have installed some APKs, but here's the thing. I scanned them all with VirusTotal.com. I have also scanned my phone with Malwarebytes a few times. I am not really sure what to do now because I know there is something seriously wrong with my phone.

I will appreciate any help.
    Thanks, Fin
    02-01-2019 02:09 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! How are you seeing that apps are losing their saved data? Can you give an example of that?

Is it just your home router's 5 GHz network that the phone can't see, or have you also had this issue on other wi-fi networks with known 5 GHz bands?

Does the phone lag and drain battery if you boot into Safe Mode? https://support.motorola.com/in/en/solution/MS131760

Negative scans by antivirus apps aren't a guarantee that an app is malware-free. It's hard to keep up with new malware being developed. If I were you, I'd uninstall those apps you obtained via apk and see if the problems continue.
    02-01-2019 02:38 AM