Phone and Storage 5.25GB - Why so High? I've searched for solution with no luck.

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

The largest use of internal memory on my Moto Z2 Play is Phone and Messaging Storage at 5.26GB.
I've deleted a ton of contacts and the storage number actually went up.
I've synced textra (saw that on a post) and it doesn't change the size of phone and messaging storage.
I need to figure out how to reduce this to free up internal memory.
Any help is appreciated.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Do you have your SMS app set to automatically delete old messages? If not, that can build up over time. If you don't have it set to auto-delete, then I'd turn it on. The initial deletion will likely take a long long time, so you may first want to just manually delete smaller numbers in batches to prevent bogging down your phone.

NSain1

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion.
I set it to delete old messages and that freed up a decent amount of internal memory but unfortunately phone and messaging storage did not change...still 5.25GB.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I set it to delete old messages and that freed up a decent amount of internal memory but unfortunately phone and messaging storage did not change...still 5.25GB.
Welcome to the forums. Where exactly are you seeing this space reported? I seem to remember Motorola partitioned the storage space for different uses. So I'm wondering if you are seeing actual space used or total partitioned space.

You could also go through each of your apps in your application manager and check their storage and cache space. "Phone and messaging storage" is kind of vague, and isn't telling us much.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Welcome to the forums. Where exactly are you seeing those 5.2GB? Is it user data or cache? Try this, go to settings - apps & notifications - select one of those apps - storage and take a screenshot of that screen. Repeat the process for the other app and post both screenshots here so we can have a better idea.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dgsegds